Facebook

» Online Users: 142

9 members and 133 guests
Most users ever online was 516, 11-15-2012 at 03:20 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

MENS REPTILE INSIDER T...
by reptileman2929

CA's 100% het for bloo...
by MrGreenThumb

Suriname Boas
by JKR100

Striped albino male 3A...
by PanamaRed

Horned Lizard (Horny T...
by Fireside3

Thread: Humidistat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Humidistat

Has anyone seen/used the Herpstat Humidity from Spyder Robotics?

This would be a great piece of equipment to hook up to a room humidifier to control the ambient humidity. Especially if using cages with lots of ventilation such as ARS, Freedom Breeder, or Vision racks. Have a ceiling fan and you're set.

Run the cages on that new Eco Zone thermostat, and everything's dialed in and state of the art!

With a room dedicated to boas, you couldn't get much better! Especially if you're someone working with a single locale exclusively. You could match the whole system to the wild.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always wanted to try this, but the cost/benefit doesn't weigh out evenly. To get a humidifier or some kind of misting system, run the extensions to hook up to a water supply, and buy the humidistat to control everything is going to cost a lot of money. It's much cheaper just to go in and spray with a bottle, at least for now. I'll definitely try it if the prices drop a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't used it. Based on a conversation I had with Proproducts, it is more appropriate to use the humidistat for a room as opposed to individual cages. I was told there is a time lag for accurate registration of the ambiant humidity. If using this device to control a misting system, this lag prohibits the mister from stopping prior to oversaturation. Essentially, you may desire 80% humidity, however by the time the humidistat records 80% you may actually be at closer to 100%. This was the short version of our conversation!

I also talked to a couple people about the Eco Zone and they said they were "the next big thing". Only draw back with them is they have not had long term exposure to the market. It is not uncommon for thermostats to encounter problems as they age. Regardless, I am leaning towards one for my tree monitors.

Steve - sdi

Post Thanks / Like

I have an EcoZone on the way!

Regarding the Humidistat, what I would use it for is a room humidifier (just to make sure it never drops below 50% during the winter with forced air central heating).

Thread Information