Facebook

» Online Users: 86

0 members and 86 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boa Deaths

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boa Deaths

Hi,

I just lost my prized boa and have submitted the body for a necropsy today.

I have lost 6 animals in 5 months (Boas and GTPs). Symptoms were regurging, stop feeding, waxy stools for week before passing, Others seemed fine till they behaved oddly by seeming to try to purge rectally before having seizure type flailing and twisting before dying almost instantly. One developed neurological problems for weeks before having to be put down for a necropsy. The results of that necropsy was bacterial septicemia (blood poisoning) and pseudomonas and salmonella was found in the heart blood samples.

My fears of IBD were dismissed, thankfully. But now I have to address the the next issue which I have been told sounds like toxic feeders. All were fed from the same feeder supply. My posts on another site regarding this were pulled so you may know who I have purchased my feeders from.

I want to ask if there are others that have had similar issues and can dispute or support these suspicions.

I will post the findings of this latest necropsy and I look forward to any and all responses to this post.

Thanks in advance.

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like

Kenny, do you have any pictures of these boas before, and any right before they died?
    ed in Ohio

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that.. Welcome to the site.
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

Check my available snakes at this link:
    http://www.reptileinsider.com/classi...panamared.html

I rejoined facebook... I don't feel good about it...

[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boa Deaths

I responded to your thread on the other forum I'm pretty certain.

I believe you & your Boas have likely experienced the " Toxic Rat " issue

I experienced severe problems and losses last summer

It still hurts I lost prize Boas and it has hurt me financially in a big way

Four years of raising several very nice Boas and then they are gone

Yep it hurts bad !!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Larry.....I really should have listened to you all before, but now I know and I'll chalk it up to experience. I am sorry for you and anyone else who has lost anything for any reason. I'll be dumping what I have in the freezer. Would you have a choice breeder. Steve Ihrig has been very helpful with his suggestions. Looking for everyone's opinions.

I do have pics of him just before he died, as he was dying which I will post when I access my other computer. I have pics posted on KS in the forum under "Jungle Fever".

Thanks everyone...

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question about the "toxic rat" what do you mean by this and how dos it become toxic?? Are they killed bij somthing toxic ore are they frosen defrosted and frozen again??

Ts i don`t know but do you have mites in your colecction??they could spread a decies carried by blood and infect other snakes just by having a drink on one sick snake.

Post Thanks / Like

this might help you. big mike wrote this and its on his site.

http://www.basicallyboas.com/whats_new.html

Post Thanks / Like

Joel posted a thread titled "Thank gosh for this site" and I agree with him 100%. It is extremely unfortunate that people will continue to lose their animals because Kingsnake will not let their users speak freely about issues like RI does. The risk involved in using Rodent*** has been exposed for quite some time. Kenny should not have had to go through this.

When Kenny contacted me about what happened one of the first questions I asked him is where do you get your feeders........unfortunately my suspicion was correct. Then I suggested he check out this site and post his experience. I know of quite a few people here, including myself who have had a negative experience with Rodent***. I also knew that the forum members would assist him with their experience and knowledge which is very important in finding closure.

Only those who are fortunate enough to find this site will recognize what a valuable resource RI is. Every time I talk to someone about boas, sell a boa or do a classroom presentation I tell people to check this site out. Jb is correct, kingsnake is a necessary evil. However, in my opinion RI is second to none in terms of value to the hobbyist thanks to Ed, the moderators and the members.

Kenny and I have discussed this topic in detail however I am only one member. So if you have any info for our new member Kenny please feel free to share.

Thanks,

Steve - sdi

Post Thanks / Like

Steve I edited your post because it had business names in it. I don't want to get sued over finger pointing, but folks can read between the lines..
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

Check my available snakes at this link:
    http://www.reptileinsider.com/classi...panamared.html

I rejoined facebook... I don't feel good about it...

[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested in more info about "Toxic Rat", I used to have a local rodent breeder who I just found out last week quit raising rodents. Now I must buy in bulk from someone else.

Sorry for the loss of your boas Kenny

Thread Information