Facebook

» Online Users: 90

0 members and 90 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Boa Deaths

Post Thanks / Like

The only company I would use if my local source fell through would be "The Mouse Factory" JB first suggested them... I was amazed at how clean their product is... and NO smell... NO freezer burnt feet and tongues, NO frozen runny stool in the rat fur, NO decapitated heads...... or any other problems I have seen associated with Rodent**** . I used to use RODENT**** and stopped after getting a bunch of rats missing body parts. I was told that they outsource their breeding and couldnt guarantee their product because there was no way to implement quality control.....

I had some snakes get ill from Jumbo rats from them as well.... they pulled through.. but not after alot of regurge and nasty stools.....

Food is our single most important investment aside from the animals themselves.... It's critical to source good food...
    [CENTER][SIZE="5"][FONT="Times New Roman"][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.surinamboas.com/"]Visit SURINAMBOAS.COM[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

This thread has jogged something in my memory with one of my snakes going off feeding. My large normal female went off food for a longer than normal amount of time. She was eating jumbo rats that I had bought from the aforementioned company. I really didn't think anything was amiss since she always goes off feed during breeding season but I have had a difficult time getting her back on a regular feeding schedule this year. She has always been a good feeder so I have been a bit concerned to say the least.

Now, reading this entire thread from start to finish, I think it may be the rats. The reason I think this is simple...fund related. I got tired of throwing out the rats she refused to eat and she is the only one that eats that size so I decided to see if she would eat something smaller that I could feed to another boa if she wasn't interested. (I bought all the rats except hers from another supplier). Of course she ate it so now I had another rat to thaw.

This worked ok for a couple of weeks and then I tried her regular size rat...no interest. If fact, she moved to the other side of the enclosure as far away from the rat as she could get. I think tomorrow night (her feeding night) I will try another smaller rat, I'm fully convinced that if she eats it, her reluctance to resume feeding on a regular schedule is rat related and she is smarter than I gave her credit for. I'll post what happens.

Thanks so much for all the information.

Edited to add...the jumbos are not zucker rats nor do they smell or look bad in any way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zamora View Post
    nor do they smell or look bad in any way.
    to you...

haha, just messin with ya!

Not that I ever have any intention of defending the company in question, but I just want to make sure we don't pin EVERYTHING on them... Could she be gravid? Even if you didn't introduce her to a male, she could have still ovulated and be carrying slugs. I mention this because gravid females (with babies or slugs) will often refuse a larger meal, but take a smaller meal while gravid. So it's possible her refusal is related to the size of the meal, not the supplier. <-- I doubt it, I just want to be fair

jb

Post Thanks / Like

How horrible!!!!!
    I wish people would listen to those of us who have gone through this in the past...........no one here would ever post misinformation regarding this type of subject.
    It took only once for me to learn the hard way...........about six years ago...........it has not happened since.............and for those of us this has happened to and posted about it...........it boiled down to the same supplier of rodents...........this topic has been spoken of often on this forum and others............PLEASE LISTEN........this is real.........and horrible........the worst part is it is DEADLY...........
    I am sorry for your loss..........and heartache.
    I am a boa addict
    http://jadeboa.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bns View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LarM View Post

Further more Zuker Rats are infertile in the Homozygous form

The only way to produce "Zucker Rats" is to breed 2 rats that are
    Heterozygous for the " Fat Zucker Rat mutation".

The gene Fa is the cause and both parents must be Fa positive to have obesity predisposed young with certainty. Zucker rats Fa/Fa are fertile as are the other 'types' of rats that are Fa/Fa. The obese rat issue is best known in 'zuckers' because they are the ones used for study and I believe the zuckers rat was used to discover Fa, but it is present in many colonies. Fa/Fa rats have continous hunger (over-eating) which leads to obesity. They will get fat faster than a normal rat, but a normal rat can still get obese.

I don't think ''an even smaller percentage are getty fatty rats''. Any fat jumbo rat has the same amount of fat (relative to the same size), it doesn't matter if it's zucker Fa/Fa/minc Fa/Fa etc. The fat is the same. The gene responsible is the same. Even without the genetic predisposition some old rats can get very obese. I think the rat producers are selling a lot of jumbos and these jumbos are getting eaten by snakes. I don't see how it would be possible for an Fa/Fa rat to be toxic. So, do you think there aren't many keepers feeding fat jumbo rats to their snakes or that all fat jumbo rats aren't the same?

I never came back to this thread respond evidently

Just as I thought as stated in this PDF ( http://www.criver.com/SiteCollection...er%20Fatty.pdf ) about Zucker Rats.
    Homozygous Zucker Females Fa/Fa are completely sterile

Homozygous Zucker males are only occasionally fertile !

The real issue I believe is the Fat in certain types of Rats like similar to Zucker Rats used for Lab experiments into Hypertension and
    Diabetes type disease as it relates to humans
    through experiments.

It really would appear that fat or certain from of fat creates internal trouble with many Boas

Hypo Boas are far more sensitvie to this issue.

They have the worst sheds and highest mortality rate as a result of this fatty to sepsis syndrome

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still not convinced it's the fat in the rodents that's causing the problems from the supplier in question. Other rodent breeders/resellers HAVE to be using fat rodents too (not necessarily Zuckers, just overfed rats), but we don't see the same issues from other suppliers. I think it has to be something unique to their operation (perhaps the bedding, or maybe the find dead rats that are spoiling and don't trash them? I don't know).

Just my musings..
    jb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
    I'm still not convinced it's the fat in the rodents that's causing the problems from the supplier in question. Other rodent breeders/resellers HAVE to be using fat rodents too (not necessarily Zuckers, just overfed rats), but we don't see the same issues from other suppliers. I think it has to be something unique to their operation (perhaps the bedding, or maybe the find dead rats that are spoiling and don't trash them? I don't know).

Just my musings..
    jb
    I agree...
    Richard Ceniceros

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post

Just my musings..
    jb
    Anything is possible although in '08 my Rats did not come from that other source you refer to.

My issue was definitely toxic type or related issue but definitely NOT rotten spoiling rats !!!.

I believe there is something wrong (internally probably fat related) with certain types of rats, just that simple.

Of course other issues can be occurring as well causing bacteria bloom , sepsis and death,
    nothing can be ruled out.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thread Information