Facebook

» Online Users: 88

0 members and 88 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I never have ..never will use photo shop.
    If it does not look good off the camera and on the pc..then to the trash.
    not trying to fool anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tibor View Post
    I never have ..never will use photo shop.
    If it does not look good off the camera and on the pc..then to the trash.
    But what if you lack the equipment or skills to depict what the animals really look like. What if you are selling a 1K boa but are shooting with a $199.00 camera that is not equiped to show whats really there?

Photo by Brandon Weik

What it really looked like and I can get Brandon to attest to this if I have to:

In this instance I may have benefited as this animal sat for a year on his site while all its siblings were long sold out and no one chose to buy this animal, I'm assuming based on his photo.

It has worked the other way I know but my ponit is there are ways to "photoshop" within the camera and just because the photo was not opened and altered in photoshop does not mean it was not enhanced. The technology allows for this in most cameras.
    Alex Burgos

Post Thanks / Like

all you need is a $500 camera and UP$$ and good pictures are possible..foto shop is just trying to fool someone..isn't it?? When it comes to taking boa pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KuttingEdge View Post
    But what if you lack the equipment or skills to depict what the animals really look like. What if you are selling a 1K boa but are shooting with a $199.00 camera that is not equiped to show whats really there?

Photo by Brandon Weik

What it really looked like and I can get Brandon to attest to this if I have to:

In this instance I may have benefited as this animal sat for a year on his site while all its siblings were long sold out and no one chose to buy this animal, I'm assuming based on his photo.

It has worked the other way I know but my ponit is there are ways to "photoshop" within the camera and just because the photo was not opened and altered in photoshop does not mean it was not enhanced. The technology allows for this in most cameras.

I personally don't like photoshopping either. I think that most decent cameras, even a $199 point and shoot, with a decent natural light from a window or outdoors is going to catch a very accurate representation of the animal. IMO, I've done it, I used to use a work issued Cannon Powershot point and shoot, with good results...

This is me playing devil's advocate:
    I will agree that your photos are better than the ones that brandon showed. But I would also like to know the difference in age, you mention that the boa sat for a year. How long passed from when his pics were taken to your arrival? That will be a big factor, especially with that particular morph. It could have simply colored up a bit...
    Jeff Carr
    West Coast Constrictors

Post Thanks / Like

Tibor, to make that statement implies that anyone who uses photoshop IS trying to fool people. Not cool man

Then you say this:
    foto shop is just trying to fool someone
    Seriously man???

Post Thanks / Like

why than does someone use foto shop to post boa pictures in a forum or a ad..fill me inn?..maybe I'm clueless.
    also I thought I was asking a question?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oregonboas View Post
    This is me playing devil's advocate:
    I will agree that your photos are better than the ones that brandon showed. But I would also like to know the difference in age, you mention that the boa sat for a year. How long passed from when his pics were taken to your arrival? That will be a big factor, especially with that particular morph. It could have simply colored up a bit...
    ABSOLUTELY, a boa can go through a huge color change in a year.

So yes boas do change color in a year and that was a great point Jeff! I've learned that you need to ask how old are the photos and can you get updated ones as Iíve been misguided in this before.

My point being from the very start is that as a photoshopper and photographer by trade I need to get in here and dispel the myth. Jeff as a Nikon user, you are aware itís easy to set your camera to shoot your boas to appear redder without even owning Photoshop.

Just because someone does not own or know how to use Photoshop does not absolve them from any responsibility. To say my camera shot the images very red but I didn't put it in Photoshop so what you are seeing is real is borderline lying to yourself and others.

Also to say because someone uses Photoshop means that what you are seeing is not real and is made to fool you is untrue. I'd wager that people who say that are those who are not familiar with the software or what is considered a photographically correct photograph in the field of commercial photography/wildlife photography or any photography for that matter.
    Alex Burgos

Post Thanks / Like

why than does someone use foto shop to post boa pictures in a forum or a ad..fill me inn?..maybe I'm clueless.
    also I thought I was asking a question?
    To try to depict an animal as accurately as they can in some cases. There are many people who don't know how to shoot a proper photo of a boa and decide to edit the photos. There are also situations where its impossible to shoot.

I had a breeder tell me this weekend he moved and is in a place where he cannot take outside photos and is having problems figuring out how to take photos inside. So if this breeder takes his photos and goes into photoshop and fixes the exposure like I showed him how to do he is trying to fool people?

Sure many people are not qualified to do this and those people's photos are easily spotted. I mean come on we've all seen those burnt high contrast photos. Most people are not fooled by that.

So whatís fooling people? How about people who use flash, special lighting, warm filters or simply go into their submenus and set their cameras to shoot more vivid. Are those people absolved of responsibility because they don't have or know how to use Photoshop? Are they not equally fooling people and trying to misguide the buyer? What if they don't know the camera is set to take vivid photos?

I personally sharpen all my photos. I'm a photographer and sharp photos are my "thing" so I try to shoot the sharpest images I can and in many cases sharpen to the level I need to for the purposes of reaching my goal of a perfectly sharp image. For boas I never ever go into hue/saturation to make it redder. Do I want Larry Petty or Trey Stowell and many others to see me post an incredibly red boa from them when they sold me an orange boa? Hells to the no!

It all comes down to honesty not Photoshop and to say someone opens a photo in Photoshop to make an animal look like something else is far from the truth and puts a bad rap on those who have tried to represent their animals as true to life as possible in many scientific and nature periodicals.
    Alex Burgos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KuttingEdge View Post
    I saw a thread today that mentioned something thatís been on my mind for some time. It regards editing or "photoshopping" boa pics.

As a graphic designer by trade let me just say that I use Photoshop to keep my photos sharp and exposure corrected and never hid that fact in the forums. In fact Iím the only one who openly posted that I edit photos and have shown step by step mini tutorials on how I do it.

The truth is that as a photographer itís difficult to get a perfect photo every time to meet the standards of photography and I believe anyone who has the knowledge to fix photos to represent what they feel the animal really looks like, will indeed do so. Just because you shot a photo and post it ďas isĒ is a far cry from saying that photo represents what you really saw or what the boa really looks like as Nikon or Canon did not guarantee that was the case by simply pressing the shutter. Why would someone say because I didn't edit the photo its an accuarate representation of what the animal really looks like?

I hope that all editors don't enhance color and saturation on photos so people don't feel the need to make defensive "no Photoshop plugs" which always gets my attention since I am a certified photoshop expert.

I've told everyone from JB to Charles or anyone from RI that took an interest in photography on the phone that itís my belief that Photoshopping a photo to have people drool over it in the forums when the animal doesn't really look the way it is represented fools no one but the owner. You are the only fool looking at the drab boa in your collection everyday.

I'm fortunate that most of my boas came from people on here who can attest that my photos represent the animals they sold to me.

But how about those who are selling the boas? In that instance an enhanced photo can make a sale.

I've been in situations where I've bought a boa that looked drab in the photos as the sellers didn't have the proper camera or skills to show the true boas.

I've also bought a boa or two that looked great in the sale photos but when I got them in the mail I wanted to return them.

I can and will continue to correct photos and always raise an eyebrow when others feel the need to make the no Photoshop defense in posting a photo

This is the meat and potatoes of what I do to correct my photos. When I shoot bad photos I do not tweak them, I just donít post them but if I shoot an accurate photo this is the tweaking that I do:

Photo shot by JB, edited by me. Does making the scales sharp and returning the details in the boa make this a misrepresentation of the animal after all it was "photoshopped"...

Top photo is edited, bottom is out the camera, is this unethical misrepresentation? Is the editing not closer to reality than what the camera's sensor captured? Is the camera the truth of what JB really saw that day? Is it possible to really know?

Whatís your opinion on this topic? Charles told me the other day he just doesn't trust anyone at this point. My entire collection was bought on the reliance of a photo. So photos can play an equally important role in your decision to buy a boa. Reputation of the seller means squat to me as I've bought boas from reputable people who took nicer photos than what the boas looked like to me when I received it.

Any experiences? Whatís your comfort level and trust on internet purchases? Any ideas how to combat this situation which Iím sure has affected every single person here but yet was never discussedÖ.thoughts...
    I agree with pretty much everything stated in this post with a couple caveats:

1.) You have to be dealing with someone who wants to be honest. But this is important regardless of whether you are talking about photos.

2.) The person sitting in front of the computer has to know what they are doing.

3.) The person using photoshop has to be honest with themselves. How easy is it nudge it a bit... just a bit... just a bit.... not out of a desire to be dishonest, but might not the pride in ones animals/accomplishments move someone to cross the line from correcting to doctoring as a result of a tiny bit of self-deception? To me it seems like a slippery slope... under the wrong feet... or whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

no photo shop here

Thread Information