Facebook

» Online Users: 86

0 members and 86 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crossing Subspecies

I saw an ad today of a cross between a Suriname and an Occidentalis. Am I the only one that finds this pairing and its result completely useless and unnecessary? Unrelated BCO blood is rare as it is and to have to muddy what we have up with other subspecies seems like a pure waste. Occidentalis is by far my favorite ssp. and I really think we need to work hard to keep their bloodlines pure in culture so we can preserve the natural looks of these animals. Any thoughts on this ad/issue?

Please note that I know this is a very delicate subject and I mean nothing personal towards anyone. I'm just expressing my opinion on the matter.

Post Thanks / Like

I find those boas to be... FUGLY!

But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right...???

They don't look as good as a Suri. They don't look as good as an Argentine. And they don't look better than an average pet store Colombian - or even an ugly one, lol. I agree with you completely. Worthless, DUMBASS breeding.

I'm not at all sure about this, but I think they were produced by someone known for pairing "spare boas" just to make litters.

jb

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree in that situation they are as Joel put it "Fugly". But on that note, I suppose it all depends on what you like. Most people would tell me that my Het blood bred to a Corn Island would be a retarded cross, Hell, I would have said it too not all that long ago.
    But in my situation there were only 5 babies born and none will be sold. They will all be kept for future breeders in attempt to create at least 75% corn island bloods....
    To me it is only a bad idea if someone produces something like that and sells a lot of the babies. Even if the first person is made aware of the cross, there is no telling how the information is going to be passed on and on to others.
    A word that always comes up during this discussion HONESTY. Full disclosure is always the best policy. If there is any doubt that it will become an issue then keep the babies.
    Thanks,
    Bob McPhee

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a locality guy, so I don't like breeding any two animals that wouldn't have been able to mate naturally in the wild. But I understand that other people have the right to breed what they want to, I just wish that if someone is going to out cross subspecies, they would at least do it with a sense of purpose. This Argentine X Suriname seems to have none.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    I'm a locality guy, so I don't like breeding any two animals that wouldn't have been able to mate naturally in the wild. But I understand that other people have the right to breed what they want to, I just wish that if someone is going to out cross subspecies, they would at least do it with a sense of purpose. This Argentine X Suriname seems to have none.
    Very good point! I really see no advantage breeding Argentine X Suriname. Normally the public reiterates this point by not buying them.

Ultimately it is the market that drives this. If there is a market for a specific cross, then people will do it. If there is no market then that specific "cross" will disappear, well except for the few that were produced and sold to begin with.

Generally those in this hobby sit on all points of the spectrum. In a funny way that is what makes this hobby both fun and frustrating at the same time. Some "crosses" produce spectacular looking animals. At the same time though, there are animals that poorly represent the cross as intended and find their way into the hobby unrepresented and for the most part "unloved" for lack of a better word. This is the largest negative aspect to this in my view.
    Thanks,
    Bob McPhee

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crossing Subspecies

I question the selectivity of breeding the Bco with the Suri Bcc as well. I see
    no benefit for that breeding . Did they believe it would bring
    color to the project IDFK

I certainly did not see any benefit when I saw that add

Post Thanks / Like

i dont like it there is no need for that. what i dont get is who the hell would want one they are ugly imo, just seems like a waste to me, touchie subject to some folks.

Post Thanks / Like

Genetic junk...... I saw another one the other day bolivian X hog Island... WHat's the purpose......

But the Argentine x Surinam one is by far the worst.... like JB said... the product turns out worse than either of the 2 parents.... that was one ugly boa... cOh... lets slap the name Suri-tine on it and charge 350 bucks for it....LOL it reminds me of all the dog breeders... making pekipoos and such... then they want to register them as a new breed......

I think the bottom of the add said something like... "imagine the genetic possibilities"....LOL

I think I should start a new project and produce the first North Suriyana Peruvolivian Brazili-gastor... then Ill breed it to my chondro..... just for shits and giggles
    [CENTER][SIZE="5"][FONT="Times New Roman"][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.surinamboas.com/"]Visit SURINAMBOAS.COM[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Not a a fan of that, natural intergrades are one thing but that pairing was probably done for one reason.....Money

The worst part is that the female that produced those can never be relied on to throw pure babies IMO and is just pet quality in my eyes....I am sure there are people who will read the above and want to post more information about the adults......please keep it low key....if you know what I am talking about.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyudsai View Post
    I think I should start a new project and produce the first North Suriyana Peruvolivian Brazili-gastor... then Ill breed it to my chondro..... just for shits and giggles

F'n DO IT!!!! I'll buy one!!!! lol Good stuff man!
    jb

Thread Information