Facebook

» Online Users: 92

1 members and 91 guests
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I agree I don't see a reason to breed an Argie with a Suri.. I'm sure most folks won't see a good reason for it..

But speaking of "crosses" What defines a crossed boa? SSP would be one like in the situation mentioned above.. BCC X BCO, BCC X BCI, BCC X BCA, etc...

How about Mexico X El Salvador... Cross? or not?

Suriname X Guyana Cross? or not?

If the boas are defined by a political border now what were they before there were names on the countries?

If it isn't a political border, how far do they have to be apart to be considered a cross?

How much of Central America would fit into Colombia? Follow me here?

If I took a Surname Boa known to be collected from the gulf coast of Surname and bred it with another Surname collected from southern Suriname that wouldn't be wrong, but if I took that Suriname collected in the south of surname and bred it with a north Brazillian collected 30 miles south of it, would it be a cross??

In the future as we have more collection data are we stuck breed them by the name of the city they were nearest?

Where is the line?

Just a few questions I'd like to know the answer to myself...LOL....
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

Check my available snakes at this link:
    http://www.reptileinsider.com/classi...panamared.html

I rejoined facebook... I don't feel good about it...

[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PanamaRed View Post
    OK, I agree I don't see a reason to breed an Argie with a Suri.. I'm sure most folks won't see a good reason for it..

But speaking of "crosses" What defines a crossed boa? SSP would be one like in the situation mentioned above.. BCC X BCO, BCC X BCI, BCC X BCA, etc...

How about Mexico X El Salvador... Cross? or not?

Suriname X Guyana Cross? or not?

If the boas are defined by a political border now what were they before there were names on the countries?

If it isn't a political border, how far do they have to be apart to be considered a cross?

How much of Central America would fit into Colombia? Follow me here?

If I took a Surname Boa known to be collected from the gulf coast of Surname and bred it with another Surname collected from southern Suriname that wouldn't be wrong, but if I took that Suriname collected in the south of surname and bred it with a north Brazillian collected 30 miles south of it, would it be a cross??

In the future as we have more collection data are we stuck breed them by the name of the city they were nearest?

Where is the line?

Just a few questions I'd like to know the answer to myself...LOL....
    Good luck on that one..lol
    [I]Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.[/I]

[B]Ralph Waldo Emerson[/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Technically if I bred any BCC to any BCC it would not be a cross, or any BCI to any BCI..

Good luck on that one..lol
    I know... There is no answer...

If I took 2 Retics one from Thailand and one from Vietnam and bred them together you know what I'd get? Retics....LOL...
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

Check my available snakes at this link:
    http://www.reptileinsider.com/classi...panamared.html

I rejoined facebook... I don't feel good about it...

[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Locality pure for me. Getting harder to find these days.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Yep in the eyes of many it would beb better to breed those Surinames than to breed the N.Brazil to a Suriname 30 miles away....I say bull$h!t and people are stuck on these political borders as locality
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PanamaRed View Post
    Technically if I bred any BCC to any BCC it would not be a cross, or any BCI to any BCI..

I know... There is no answer...

If I took 2 Retics one from Thailand and one from Vietnam and bred them together you know what I'd get? Retics....LOL...
    I don't think that breeding Amazon basin Bcc to shield Bcc would be very well recieved (Peruvian to Guyana)

As for the retic thing yes they would all be retics but correct me if I am wrong but I believe all retics are classified under one scientific name with the exception of some of the dwarf maybe.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

My thought is that when the looks of the boas start to diverge, you have a cross.

And just so y'all don't knit pick, I mean the average look of an entire locality of boas.

So, for instance, I would consider any animals in the northern shield to be one because most people can't tell them apart.

I would group all Amazon Basin animals together.

I personally feel there is a difference in the look of Colombians and Panamanians so I would consider that a locality cross.

SSP crosses are exactly that, SSP crosses (different than the "locality crosses" I mentioned above).

This is all just my standard.

Having said all that, I feel like the more precise your locality animal is (ie, Guyana BCC), the more I'm interested for my PERSONAL collection. I feel like that because I feel exactly like Ali, I like to breed animals that could have theoretically met in the wild with a high probability (not depending on a boa to travel thousands of miles in its lifetime [ie, a Peruvian rafting up the Amazon to North Brazil]). I don't see anything wrong with breeding a Guyanese to a Surinamese as long as it's appropriately labeled (either Guy X Sur or Guyana Shield or Northern Shield) - but I won't buy one for my collection because it just doesn't fit in, not because I think it's ugly or some product of satan! lol

Those are just my personal standards. I feel like the more strict you are with your standards, the more potential buyers you'll have.

jb

Post Thanks / Like

It's an impossible question to answer, everybody has their own opinion. Everybody has their own rumors about who's stock is crossed with what. Everybody has their own idea of what each locality should look like.... it's just a complete mess.

On another note, where the hell are all these north brazilians coming from over the last couple of years. Back in the day you would never see them for sale now if you look on the classifieds there's atleast 4 or 5 .... Who smuggled all these boas out of Brazil ?

OK.. back to the topic at hand , breed a suri to guyana , sure why not..same snake , label it correctly. Peruvian to guyana ...ehhhhh not so much, although the last few imports I've seen look a lot less different from the other shield BCC.

Whatever...who cares, they are just pets to me... you'll never get rich selling BCC.
    [I]Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.[/I]

[B]Ralph Waldo Emerson[/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boas4Life View Post
    you'll never get rich selling BCC.
    truer words were never spoken (or typed). You do this because you love it! At least we can all agree on that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
    My thought is that when the looks of the boas start to diverge, you have a cross.

And just so y'all don't knit pick, I mean the average look of an entire locality of boas.

So, for instance, I would consider any animals in the northern shield to be one because most people can't tell them apart.

I would group all Amazon Basin animals together.

I personally feel there is a difference in the look of Colombians and Panamanians so I would consider that a locality cross.

SSP crosses are exactly that, SSP crosses (different than the "locality crosses" I mentioned above).

This is all just my standard.

Having said all that, I feel like the more precise your locality animal is (ie, Guyana BCC), the more I'm interested for my PERSONAL collection. I feel like that because I feel exactly like Ali, I like to breed animals that could have theoretically met in the wild with a high probability (not depending on a boa to travel thousands of miles in its lifetime [ie, a Peruvian rafting up the Amazon to North Brazil]). I don't see anything wrong with breeding a Guyanese to a Surinamese as long as it's appropriately labeled (either Guy X Sur or Guyana Shield or Northern Shield) - but I won't buy one for my collection because it just doesn't fit in, not because I think it's ugly or some product of satan! lol

Those are just my personal standards. I feel like the more strict you are with your standards, the more potential buyers you'll have.

jb
    JB, you articulated my thoughts perfectly. I would like to further add that I consider (my own opinion only) out-crossing (locality or ssp) to be any two animals that would never have met in the wild. I know that locality data is kind of piss-poor for the most part in this hobby, but that's just the 'code-of-conduct', if you will, that I'd like to stick to.

Thread Information