Facebook

» Online Users: 88

0 members and 88 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jason,

Check with Jeff Ronne. I could be wrong but I think I remember him giving some input on this before.

Also as you already know, there are so many variables involved with live reptiles that sometimes there is nothing that can be done.

I have seen you consistantly giving your best effort so I expect good things to come!

Take care,

Steve - sdi

Post Thanks / Like

Sad that the little buggers didn't make it....But thanks you for positing..
    Vaya con Dios,
    Buddy Young

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sdi View Post
    Hey Jason,

Check with Jeff Ronne. I could be wrong but I think I remember him giving some input on this before.
    Here's the info Jeff posted on the subject in 2007 - http://forums.kingsnake.com/viewarch...11329&key=2007.

Jason, sorry for your loss and thanks for posting. It's important for people that might be new to the breeding thing to see "the other side" of when babies are premature. I've always had good success with keeping them at 90-92 (at the warm end), 90-95% humidity (spraying morning and night to keep them wet), and letting them all hang out together for the first week. Hang in there, and keep up the good work!
    Kevin
    Kevin Blumenthal
    blumenboas.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this Jason. Hopefully the losses stop with the second baby. I feel like posts like this should be made for every unusual situation so that as a community, we can expand our knowledge base and grow from the experience. I also think everyone needs to know that HORRIBLE things can and do happen ALL THE TIME when attempting to breed boas.

A person could attempt to breed a pair of boas, have the male die, the female delivers a bunch of slugs and premies, and then dies due to a retained slug or some other reason. A person could lose all of the animals involved. To me, breeding is just like any investment, a person should only put up what they're prepared to lose. Because it could be that the person loses it all. IMO, this is the info that needs to be at the forefront of educational material for breeding boas.

jb

Post Thanks / Like

I am always curious as to why an animal dies and like you have to open them up. I have never lost babies to solidified yolk so that was an interesting series of pic's....much more yolk than I would have expected.

It kind of looked like a systemic infection when yo opened it up....what did you notice?

Like others have stated and what you are doing....warm and humid.

I do not know why I am thinking this would help but it just popped into my head.....what about using nutribac or plain yogurt? Could it be a lack of beneficial bacteria that is not allowing them to digest?

You would have to set up a control group to even test that theory and that would truly be another ugly side of breeding.

Great post and sorry to se the little ones die.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Jason, Sorry you lost those babies, and thank you for posting...I agree with JB that the more people post, the good and BAD, the more we all will learn...again..sorry
    Kevin Stewart

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sdi View Post
    Hey Jason,

here's what Steve was talking bout, i think:

http://www.redtailboas.com/forum/pic...-syndrome.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
    Thanks for posting this Jason. Hopefully the losses stop with the second baby. I feel like posts like this should be made for every unusual situation so that as a community, we can expand our knowledge base and grow from the experience. I also think everyone needs to know that HORRIBLE things can and do happen ALL THE TIME when attempting to breed boas.

A person could attempt to breed a pair of boas, have the male die, the female delivers a bunch of slugs and premies, and then dies due to a retained slug or some other reason. A person could lose all of the animals involved. To me, breeding is just like any investment, a person should only put up what they're prepared to lose. Because it could be that the person loses it all. IMO, this is the info that needs to be at the forefront of educational material for breeding boas.

jb
    JB you are right... Ive lost adults from breeding season more than once.

Jason
    Hope everything works out.
    Richard Ceniceros

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks,

You gotta open them up to learn what happens, best of luck with the rest of them... I have been through it as well... never fun...

Al Brown/Brown's Boas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
    A person could lose all of the animals involved. To me, breeding is just like any investment, a person should only put up what they're prepared to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by boakid View Post
    JB you are right... Ive lost adults from breeding season more than once.
    Scary stuff...this is what flashes when I think about breeding this girl in two years. On a positive note, all feedback and input builds confidence. Major props to Jason for making it real time for the neophytes.

Worth a second thought...but then again...

Thread Information