Facebook

» Online Users: 84

0 members and 84 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DAMN!! (Graphic)

Well as some of you knew Hammer head went into what appeared to be contractions last Wednesday night, she passed a small amount of fluid and two tiny dime sized urates.

I finally fell asleep a little after 2 am and awoke at 7 am to find no babies or slugs and Hammer head was resting on the heat. Everyone in the house would check on her through out the day while I was at work.

Her approximate due date was October 22nd so I was hoping that she was going to hold onto whatever until close to that date, I was preparing some materials to contain her in case I needed to help her out with delivery....nothing Thursday night Friday or Friday evening.

I got up this morning and found that Hammer head had passed...Damn!!! I have not lost a snake in quite some time and I must say that these are the only feelings that I have not experienced since my return to the hobby.

This has truly ruined my day as I feel terrible that she lost her life in my care and feel that maybe there was something that I should have tried last Wed. night....I know this girl meant a lot to some of you here on this forum and I hate being "that guy" who lost Hammer head...I am sorry

This is a horrible sick to my stomach feeling that I am having today, I broke the news to Kylie my 4 year old daughter and her reaction was immediate sorrow as she was really looking forward to seeing some more babies.

Kylie has not left my side today and was right there with me the entire time while I opening the old girl up and I guess if anything good came from this was that I know my daughter is going to be one heck of a vet, she asked questions and touched everything on and inside Hammer heads body.

I found what appeared to be to large masses of slugs that were all stuck together and I could not make out were they were separate just large masses with a soft cheese consistency, there were three slugs that were in individual sacks and no babies.

Any comments on the findings would be greatly appreciated....having a bad day....RIP Hammer head

one of the large yellow masses

The second mass closer to the vent

The three sacks unfertilized between the two large masses
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

First off.... Im very sorry for your loss... that was an amazing boa.... Dont feel responsible.... you know complications happed during pregnancy.... There isnt anything you could've done....

it looks like there's some hemmorhaging toward the tail in the first pic... around the slugs.... very odd how theyre all stuck together.... I wouldve thought they would be separated.... Bummer man.... it happens to the best of us..
    [CENTER][SIZE="5"][FONT="Times New Roman"][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.surinamboas.com/"]Visit SURINAMBOAS.COM[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Joel
    Dont feel bad it happens. I loss a 9'ft. 35lb. Sipperly female while gravid two seasons ago.

Here she is while gravid

She did everything like the books then one day i walk in and shes dead.

I also felt really bad.
    Richard Ceniceros

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear of your loss Joel. I can't imagine how you must feel right now.

I couldn't begin to venture a guess as to what went wrong.

Keep your head up man, definitely not your fault!

jb

Post Thanks / Like

Joel, this is one of the unfortunate parts of this hobby. None of us have any control over these things. I am truly sorry for your loss, my friend.
    Joel Thornburg

Post Thanks / Like

You're right this was out of your hands. Normally my first reaction would be: overfed, malnourished, or something having to do with inadequate care (especially when it comes to power feeding). But knowing your level of expertise and dedication rules out any negative suggestions. And because of the person that you are this has had an immediate impact on me. I am sorry for you, bro.

Take care of yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Sorry to hear that Joel.. It sucks but it does happen and there isn't much we can do about it.

There looks to be something wrong with those slugs, they look stuck together in a hardened mass. I would guess they have been that way for a bit and maybe a possibility it went septic. That guess come from losing a hog female with a similar issue years back, she had still borns that had rotted in along with the slugs lumped up in masses. They had the a hardened feel like gummy worms.
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

Check my available snakes at this link:
    http://www.reptileinsider.com/classi...panamared.html

I rejoined facebook... I don't feel good about it...

[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Joel... was that mess of slugs really foul smelling???
    [CENTER][SIZE="5"][FONT="Times New Roman"][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.surinamboas.com/"]Visit SURINAMBOAS.COM[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Joel I'm so sorry to hear that. I know you are left wondering "what if..." etc. This was entirely not your fault and seems to be part of the risks involved in breeding. I've lost herps in the past, circa 1996 I lost a trio of what was then rare leucistic lopard geckos except at that time is was a stupid error on my part. Aside from the huge financial loss I felt so sad I was responsible for these animals deaths. I was left with "what if?" In my case what if applied, I could of prevented the deaths but in your case there was just no way to help it. My condolences bro.
    Alex Burgos

Post Thanks / Like

Joel - I am sooo sorry to hear this. We all know that you are one of the most passionate boa keepers we have here and no one would assume you did anything wrong. I am very sorry for your loss and we will all miss her.

RIP Hammerhead
    Marshall

http://www.SignatureSnakes.com
    http://www.youtube.com/mlionti

...I've been told there is a fine line between Passion, Addiction and Obsession, but it's all a blur to me!

Thread Information