Facebook

» Online Users: 86

0 members and 86 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Use of the word "fat" to describe a boa

I've seen the word "fat" used to describe a boas level of health before. What are your thoughts on it?

NO NAMES OR REFERENCES TO PEOPLE, ADS, OR SPECIFIC ANIMALS, PLEASE

jb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
    I've seen the word "fat" used to describe a boas level of health before. What are your thoughts on it?

NO NAMES OR REFERENCES TO PEOPLE, ADS, OR SPECIFIC ANIMALS, PLEASE

jb
    Yep I see it all the time...... These sort of descriptions usually come from that whole school of thought that bigger is better..... Well I shouldnt call it old.. just nieve...

The kind of things you see on beginner forums,,,, these are the same people that say their snakes recognize their owners and post pictures up of their petshop boa and ask what morph it is

sorry.. im in a jerky mood
    [CENTER][SIZE="5"][FONT="Times New Roman"][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.surinamboas.com/"]Visit SURINAMBOAS.COM[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyudsai View Post
    Yep I see it all the time...... These sort of descriptions usually come from that whole school of thought that bigger is better..... Well I shouldnt call it old.. just nieve...

The kind of things you see on beginner forums,,,, these are the same people that say their snakes recognize their owners and post pictures up of their petshop boa and ask what morph it is

sorry.. im in a jerky mood
    Jerky mood or not I agree with you. THe word "fat" when I use it to describe a boa (in my head, not out loud) always means that I think someone who is too inexperienced to know better has overfed their animals to the point that I doubt they will even breed. Fat in a boa is a bad thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Fat is universal for unhealthy.
    *Tara*
    Boas, Carpets, Bulls

Post Thanks / Like

It amazes me that people would advertise a boa as fat and happy/healthy. I will always stear away from sellers that do this. I hate seeing these big obese boas with tiny little pin heads. I remember once seeing a boa that was not even 2 years old that had troble coiling up b/c it was so large.

Joe
    Joe Dau

I thought i was wrong once, but alas I was mistaken.....

Post Thanks / Like

it in my opinion is just a word to describe a big healthy size boa. So many times i have bought animals off the classifieds that looks like it was barely fed so when i see an ad that describes an animal fat and healthy is a good thing. when someone uses the word obese then a flag gets raised because that is being more specific regarding the description. Fat is just a general term and we all know what it implies......just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, "fat" (regardless of whether it looks that way or not), is indicative of the persons philosophy about feeding boas and it means that they'll feed it as much as it'll eat - the feed to breed mentality. These are not animals I want in my collection, nor do I wish to support that type of husbandry.

I have never seen a boa labeled "obese", despite the label being warranted in some cases.

Post Thanks / Like

I think its one of those words that has to be considered in the context it is being used....fat is obviously unhealthy; I think a lot of people use it to mean a healthy thick solid animal (something we should try and refrain from doing)...and as herpers we use the word "obese" more often to mean a fat unhealthy animal.....but again I think context needs to be considered when you see "fat" being used....Royston
    Royston Hunte
    [URL="http://www.cherryboas.com"]http://www.cherryboas.com[/URL]
    ...when pigs fly!

Post Thanks / Like

Fat is one of my favorite types of foods...

Especially when combined with starch or salt!

Sorry! Couldn't resist.

There are a lot of boas I would call obese floating around though. Fat is a more relative term I think... when someone says "obese", well... that's a more indicative term, as Primo pointed out. At least I think so.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be infinitely more intrigued by the description "lean and muscular" than "fat and happy".

Edit* fat and happy conjures images of the fat, smiling budda statue. Content in being lazy and obese, and with the prospect of a shortened life span

Thread Information