Facebook

» Online Users: 90

0 members and 90 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lean and muscular would most likely imply a healthy animal, but anyone who overfeeds an animal then markets it as "fat and healthy" isnt a responsible collector in the first place....you might be right refering to an animal this way could be indicative of someones feeding philosophy and yeah I would stay away from those animals...(I took this blurb out could go down a bad road)....Royston
    Royston Hunte
    [URL="http://www.cherryboas.com"]http://www.cherryboas.com[/URL]
    ...when pigs fly!

Post Thanks / Like

jb, I think the p90x guy is getting into your head. Maybe you should take a break?

Lol!

Sorry...
    -Chris

Post Thanks / Like

...or Jon you could just try to be "happy and fat"..lol...Royston
    Royston Hunte
    [URL="http://www.cherryboas.com"]http://www.cherryboas.com[/URL]
    ...when pigs fly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
    I would be infinitely more intrigued by the description "lean and muscular" than "fat and happy".

Edit* fat and happy conjures images of the fat, smiling budda statue. Content in being lazy and obese, and with the prospect of a shortened life span
    yes i agree that fat in regards to humans and other mammals makes me think of the buddah but in herps the first thing that comes to mind is a healthy animal.....dunno why. perhaps because there are so many emanciated herps out there for sale people use the term to show that the animal is at the other end of the spectrum. i also think that if i were buying a female for a breeding male and i wanted to try it soon i would be more apt to buy a fat healthy girl than a lean muscular female. now of course those terms are great with a male. btw i think this is a good topic but because so many new people are getting into the hobby then maybe itll be harder to get a more marketable term than fat but i definitely agree there should be a better word than fat.

Post Thanks / Like

To me, having a fat boa is unnecessary because in the wild they do not experience a period where they can't eat.

Having said that, I want to say that I do toss a couple of extra meals (3-4) to my upcoming breeder females spread over the 3 months prior to cool down to add a little bit of extra fat reserves. But these females are lean and muscular prior to that as lean muscle mass has been shown to be the most important factor for increasing longetivity and fecundity and these females bounce back the quickest and easiest after breeding season. A females which was "fat" prior to breeding has to be fed a LOT of food to get fat again. Nasty cycle. Even after my females get those couple of extra meals, they're FAR from fat.

Tangent time...

What about "fat" babies?
    jb

Post Thanks / Like

Great topic JB! I think that people use the word fat in their ads to note that their animals are healthy and well fed. I doubt someone trying to sell something would use a word they believe will hinder them from successfully selling the item. People would rather sugar coat things i.e. “only for experienced keepers = mean as hell” usually lol.

I’ve received boas in the past where I could tell the sellers were cheap about feeding the boas up for sale. God forbid they spend 50 cents a week on a frozen mouse to feed boas they plan on selling. I wouldn’t look too deeply into the where the usage of fat is used in terms of an ad for a boa.

Sometimes the boa may be obese, but the term fat in the description is used as a sales pitch IMO, so it may likely not be obese.
    Alex Burgos

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want fat boas Period.. "Well built" would be a description I'd like to see..

I have had fat boas they were boas I bought as adults.. What happened with them? Most of them died.. I tried to get them in shape, but at a point their metabolism seems to be set.. A few times I thought well if I get her to drop a litter we can start from thin and build her back slow so she will stay in shape, but none of those fat boas ever dropped a litter.. Some of them took and were gravid but died during gestation..

So I am not looking for "fat" boas.. Solid yes but not fat...

Myself I seem to have a hard time getting females "up to size" in 3 years.. most of the time it takes me 4 or 5 years...LOL... Hell I have a hard time getting most males to "breeding size" in 18 months.. I see boas that are large for their age and just can't imagine how much food they must be getting fed..

I may have learned my lesson the hard way it took several thousand dollars buying those beefy females back in the day, but in the end the money was totally wasted.

The females that I get to breed and ovulate easily are built better. The better the build on the female the easier it is to get them to ovulate IMO.. I can look back at EVERY litter and the ones with a bread loaf build bred and had babies with little effort.. Some of the ones that had a litter the season before I thought well I need to put more weight back on them I'll give them the season off.. They get right to their normal size, other boas are breeding and they swell up on their own without the help of a male.. I put a male in last second and boom they have another good litter...

Seems like the perfect reason to keep them in the best shape possible.. When they are in shape I can't control when they have their litters, but I can predict it pretty well..
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

Check my available snakes at this link:
    http://www.reptileinsider.com/classi...panamared.html

I rejoined facebook... I don't feel good about it...

[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

I think they would much rather prefer Big boned or maybe Husky

Fat, obese....it's the same thing to me and as mentioned before it will tell alot about the feeding practices of certain keepers.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Is this picking on an ad??

I thought we were just talking about fat boas.. really...
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

Check my available snakes at this link:
    http://www.reptileinsider.com/classi...panamared.html

I rejoined facebook... I don't feel good about it...

[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boas4Life View Post
    This forum is getting a little crazy... let's not pick on everybody elses ads every week. It's getting old...

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone .....
    I think we need to redirect our angst.....LOL.. It's better than picking on each other..........

I like my boas lean mean... screwing machines.... The effect excercise is having on my Sargent girl, Evangeline is amazing.... she eats once every 3 weeks, is 4 feet long... ripped and born in mid 08..... I think she's a freak of nature cuz her brother is just over 2 feet......

Boas just look bad heavy..... with the exception of amarali.... but they're usually pure muscle

Excercise.... #1
    [CENTER][SIZE="5"][FONT="Times New Roman"][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.surinamboas.com/"]Visit SURINAMBOAS.COM[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thread Information