Facebook

» Online Users: 88

0 members and 88 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

what is the meaning of "is"?

who gets that reference?

take care,

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agswin07 View Post

who gets that reference?

take care,

Kevin
    LOL
    I needed that, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Well there is no reference to a specific ad, and no names.. Maybe some ad inspired the post, I don't know.. But people are going to post about things that have got them thinking..

I would think us BS'ing about whatever is going to make people change their ads.. Maybe using the word "fat" was reference to the animal being of a solid build.. I don't think it's very good marketing myself.. But all the same I don't want fat out of shape boas..

I try and keep the site as "PC" as possible without filtering it to the point of it just being "look at this boa" some things are going to be said not everyone agrees with, but at the same time if people feel it needs to be said maybe it does.

The thread that just went on and on, I posted about roswells being produced and it took all kinds of turns.. I tried to filter out names, but it got to the point just saying KWB may as well have been saying J Ronne.. I did send him a PM about the thread and told him I don't like people mentioning names but KWB at the early stage it is at was just like saying a name, and then names were said.. I also let him know if he wasn't up for this I'd take it down..

I ended up closing the thread, but no one asked for it to be closed I did that on my own because I couldn't monitor it 24 hours a day and it was getting more and more negative, as well as repetitive...

Either way sometimes questions have to be asked...

I get paid pennies per hour to run this site, maybe not even that...LOL... and moderators are just getting ad space.. I think we keep it pretty reasonable, while still letting points be made..
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

Check my available snakes at this link:
    http://www.reptileinsider.com/classi...panamared.html

I rejoined facebook... I don't feel good about it...

[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't mind chubby juveniles. Obese/powerfed animals are a different story of course. A lot of my own female BCI boas in particular seem to go through a "fat period" (not obese, but you can clearly feel a thick layer of fat over the muscle) when they're between 12 and 24 months old. I normally cut back on feeding at that 2 year mark and up their cage size. They then slim out and that layer of fat burns into some really nice muscle. I've tried to keep the chubbier ladies leaner during that time period, but they never seemed to develop that muscle quite as nicely later on.

Makes me think of my human friends, both male and female. Those who were chubby or just a little thicker as kids and teens (who chose to get active and work out later on in life) are now the much more muscular, fit people. The people I knew who were skinny as kids because they didn't eat much are still.. well, really skinny without much muscle at all. Don't know why that is.. Maybe it has something to do with having more "room" in the body for muscle to develop.. or maybe the burning of fat actually does play a role in building muscle. I have no clue, but it's just something I've noticed.

Post Thanks / Like

so who cares what's written in the ad.
    Well I still don't know what ad we are talking about, but please no link to it.. If I saw an ad that said fat boa I'd probably go right past it.

Page after page after page of name calling, doubting other people's stock, and calling those people out is only gonna result in censorship to prevent people from getting offended. At that point... guess this place will be just like the other place, I would like to avoid that.
    Only censorship here is when the rules are broken.. even then some of it slides past when there is some type of point behind it.. Not trying to favor anyone, or protect one person more than the other is difficult to do because everyone comes up with their own opinion about what they think is happening..

Speaking of the other place there wouldn't even be a discussion.. It would all just be gone right off.. Trying to avoid that, while not letting it go to full blown blowout is what we are shooting for and it isn't easy....LOL... The site changes daily it's a lot to keep up with I really don't have the time to even look at other sites. So I hear it hear or someone calls me and tells me about it..
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Use of the word "fat" to describe a boa

Quote Originally Posted by Agswin07 View Post

who gets that reference?

take care,

Kevin
    . . . . . . . . . . .

Taken From Merriam-Webster
    "is." Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.

Main Entry: 1is
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German ist is (from sīn to be), Latin est (from esse to be), Greek esti (from einai to be)
    present 3d singular of be dialect present 1st & 2d singular of be dialect present plural of
    Or Perhaps
    Talk to " Slick Willy" maybe he should be known as "Existential Willie." President Bill Clinton

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."

The distinction between "is" and "was" was seized on by the commentariat when Clinton told Jim Lehrer of PBS right after the Lewinsky story broke, "There is no improper relationship." Chatterbox confesses that at the time he thought all these beltway domes were hyperanalyzing, and in need of a little fresh air. But it turns out they were right: Bill Clinton really is a guy who's willing to think carefully about "what the meaning of the word 'is' is." This is way beyond slick. Perhaps we should start calling him, "Existential Willie."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trendkill View Post
    I personally don't mind chubby juveniles. Obese/powerfed animals are a different story of course. A lot of my own female BCI boas in particular seem to go through a "fat period" (not obese, but you can clearly feel a thick layer of fat over the muscle) when they're between 12 and 24 months old. I normally cut back on feeding at that 2 year mark and up their cage size. They then slim out and that layer of fat burns into some really nice muscle. I've tried to keep the chubbier ladies leaner during that time period, but they never seemed to develop that muscle quite as nicely later on.

Makes me think of my human friends, both male and female. Those who were chubby or just a little thicker as kids and teens (who chose to get active and work out later on in life) are now the much more muscular, fit people. The people I knew who were skinny as kids because they didn't eat much are still.. well, really skinny without much muscle at all. Don't know why that is.. Maybe it has something to do with having more "room" in the body for muscle to develop.. or maybe the burning of fat actually does play a role in building muscle. I have no clue, but it's just something I've noticed.
    I have to agree with you Nicole , this is something I've been learning as I go along.
    I've gone the very slow route raising Boas and I've had Boas that seemed like
    they wouldn't grow and I could never figure out what was going on. I'm sure some Boas have the ability to get bigger quicker than others but what you are describing Nicole is something I'm becoming very familiar with.
    That first 18-24 months is a very important period in both growth and possibly more importantly establishing a strong metabolism in my Boas.
    A nice strong 7 day feeding schedule (sometimes skip a week) while always adjusting the food size to the most optimal size for the Boa
    Of course there are always exceptions and it doesn't
    happen with every Boa . There is always a Boa here and there with a touchy stomach or a very inconsistent feeding response. For the most part though I believe that first 18 - 24 months especially is very important after that.
    You adjust that feeding schedule to a 2-3 weeks between meals schedule after that first 18-24 months period and they seem to become nice strong muscular machines.

The experiment is by no means over in my case its always on going ,
    time will tell

Post Thanks / Like

Nicole and Larry, do you find this across all ssp in your collection?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
    Nicole and Larry, do you find this across all ssp in your collection?
    Good point Jon something I often leave out

So that there is something I can not reference to.

I'm talking about my collection of "Colombian type Boas" sorry but you know what I mean

With True Redtails I've had in the past I would not use this 7 day feeding schedule approach

Any Nic/C.A type Boas I have or have had or hog Isle Boas are fed very conservatively

So for me I have to say it only applies to those Boas I'm concentrating on
    right now Colombian type and/or Colombian based Morph projects

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the posts here seem to be baiting posts.. If your trying to get under someones skin it's baiting.. it is against the rules here on RI..

PLEASE DON"T DO IT!

If it isn't productive getting somewhere or in good fun for both people don't put it in type. We don't need it to go there...

It seemed like a productive thread from the start to me, some ad somewhere else really doesn't matter here. If we are not pointing fingers at someone, but talking about fat boas, and someone else somewhere else happens to have an ad for fat boas they will have to roll with the punches like everyone else on the planet...

Maybe they want to do a note to self "fat boas" might be a bad idea for advertising.. unless it's PH fat...LOL....

Thanks, Ed
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

[/I]

Thread Information