Facebook

» Online Users: 88

0 members and 88 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

One practice any breeder can do to help lessen the chances of babies not being what are expected, is to breed a female to just one male.

Meaning, before your breeding season starts, pick out what you are going ot pair with what. After you introduce a male, you leave in ONLY that male. Unless you are doing 2 of the same. Like two Sharp Snows to a DH female.

I think it was Jeff Ronne who I first picked this up from, way before I started breeding. He always did the 1:1 pairing. That way you know who sired that litter (provided nothing weird happens).

It does a lot more for selective breeding.

One boa that many breeders have reported using multiple males for is Bolivian amarali. I know when I breed mine I will only do 1:1 because I want to know which male it was that sired the litter. It matters to the customer, it matters to me, it matters to anyone who is breeding those offspring down the road. You want to know the genetic history.

True, doing 1:1, and dedicating a single male to a female for a whole season may result in less litters. But those that are produced will be the best ones, because they got the first string male. And when you do produce a litter, it will be what was really wanted.

Running a 2nd string male in my opinion is only done by someone who's concerned with the # of babies they can produce and the # of females they can get gravid.

I missed out on 2 girls last year that could very well have been due to young males, but I stuck with those guys. This year they seem to have done the job.

It's worth the wait, you get the boas you were really after, stuff that you would want in your collection. Boas that are easier to sell because they were from that well planned breeding. And no confusion on who the daddy was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PanamaRed View Post
    So my basic question for Brad and Ruben is this:

Say you bred a Motley to a sharp male one year, the female never took... The next year your male T+ was ready to breed and you really wanted to breed him to that female motley.. Are you comfortable doing it?

The short answer for me is, no, I'm not.

My point is even if you get it in your head that if I am wrong I'll replace them, or refund the $$.. What happens when folks say I have 2 years into this animal, spent a lot of money for a baby and now it should be worth X amount more. Offering a refund just doesn't cover it at some point.

Thus my point that it seems more logical to plan a course in the beginning that bypasses this dog and pony show. Not to mention, how does Mr Will Nilly definitively ascertain it is his animal that was misrepresented, and not the other half of the pairing were it bred to someone else's animal.

Bottom line is, this stuff is all very plan-able. Though, I see very little well thought out planning in the boa community. One of the reasons for this, in my opinion, is people often emotionally buy or hold back boas because they like a particular specimen(s), without thinking carefully how that specimen(s) fit into their plans, whether that be regards adult cage space or breeding plans. Now there is nothing wrong with that, we all have done it, however the end result may oft times be the same as that of simply poor or no planning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desert View Post
    The short answer for me is, no, I'm not.

Oh,forgot to answer that question! No for me also and I actually put my Russian Blonde in with my Motley female that I bred to my VPI last year. I coulda swore she was prego. Had all the signs,doing all the right things and then NOTHING! So,after my Blonde finished off my Hypo Arabesque, I put him in with that Motley. He started courting right away and then stopped a day or so later. I then thought about what happened last year and thought of the whole sperm retention issue so my plans then changed to putting something co-dom and Hypo to her next and not the Blonde. Just incase any funny stuff is still brewin in there. She's hasn't had a litter for me ever and last year was her first year breeding. Oh, any thought on my question above about what peoples opinions are if the female slugs out and this situation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben650 View Post
    Oh, any thought on my question above about what peoples opinions are if the female slugs out and this situation?
    Good questions.
    Perhaps one way to examine the question is with another question. If the breeder told you this was the circumstance, would you expect him/her to fix it three years later if you find you ended up with offspring from that.

Nice meeting you too, Ruben, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Good questions.
    Perhaps one way to examine the question is with another question. If the breeder told you this was the circumstance, would you expect him/her to fix it three years later if you find you ended up with offspring from that.

Nice meeting you too, Ruben, thanks!
    My question wasn't about fixing anything. It was was more wondering what peoples thoughts were as far as sperm retention if the litter was all slugs or mostly slugs. I guess a better way to ask is,can there still be sperm retention if a female slugs out?

Post Thanks / Like

My question wasn't about fixing anything. It was was more wondering what peoples thoughts were as far as sperm retention if the litter was all slugs or mostly slugs. I guess a better way to ask is,can there still be sperm retention if a female slugs out?
    Oh then I misunderstood, because your slug question was followed right after with this, which appears to me to still be talking about later fixes:

I guess the point I was trying to make as far as a "honest breeder will make it right in the end" wasn't to make things like this sound ok to do. It was more of a "if" this happened a trusted breeder will or should do whatever it takes to make it right in the end, where a dishonest breeder will just tell you to go screw yourself. So,in the long run it's better to buy your highend stuff from trusted people but I guess in the new "big picture" it's really up to you as a buyer to ask important questions like this to see if there is a chance there may be something else in your new boas you may not want or be expecting. Like Brad said above. I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts on the slug questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh then I misunderstood, because your slug question was followed right after with this, which appears to me to still be talking about later fixes:
    Yea,
    I definitely need to work on my sentence structsures! One thing I was always bad at in school! I should've spaced that part down down further instead of right after and started a new paragraph. Funny thing is,I thought about that when I was writing it and still forgot to do it. I can definitely see where it looks like they're part of the same question.

SSOOOO, can someone please give me some insight on that please?

Post Thanks / Like

The answer is, YES.

Thread Information