Facebook

» Online Users: 85

0 members and 85 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I really blew it...

I am really bummed about this. I wanted to share it with you guys so hopefully somone can learn from my mistake.
    I paired up an 05 Albino female with a nice pink head and a solid colorful tail even at 6+ feet long, with a nice Arabesque Het Albino male. Here she is.

I saw plenty of courting but never did observe copulation or an obvious ovulation. I did note a possible POS on 1/9/10. I recorded that in case I'd missed the ovulation. From then on she "acted" gravid, and I've always believed, and told friends and fellow hobbyists that if they act gravid, they probably are. So, as time passed on I offered her only small meals every 2 weeks. I don't feed gravid females for the last 30-45 days depending on how they are looking. She did hug the heat a bit, but only all streched out and rarely using the HCP. She didn't appear to be growing and certainly never got that full, "squishy" look that we often see in our helathy gravid females that are full of babies, yolks and fluid. She never did any nesting on the cool side, which most of my females do engage in at some point during the pregnancy. I carefully handled her a couple of times during cleanings, feeling for any sign of babies. None. She felt rock solid and I felt less and less like she was carrying anything.

So...Yesterday I attempted to feed her and bring her back to her normal schedule. She was the third animal to be offered food, and refused the first attempt with very little interest. I thought to myself... "that's odd" and went on to everyone else. I returned to her at the end of the session and after a long couple of minutes of tounge flicking the rat, she exploded towards it, struck and threw numerous coils around it. She hit this one hard... really hard. I thought, "that's more like it." Fast forward 3 hours and as I was checking in on everyone to ensure all had finished their meals when I noticed that she seemed to be defacating. To my dismay, I saw a firm orange slug, followed by another slug of the runny gooey type, follwed by babies. After watching her deliver for a few minutes, I realized that these babies were premature and were not going to make it. They all died within minutes of her finishing.

I believe that in my decision that she wasn't gravid and my wanting to get her back on schedule, I fed her and caused her to go into pre-mature labor.

This does not feel good...

I gues all that I am saying here is to trust your gut. Don't second guess yourself.

If you feel that they were gravid at one time, play it safe. If she isn't, then missing 3 or 4 meals certainly isn't going to hurt her.

Good luck on all of your litters this season.
    Jeff Carr
    West Coast Constrictors

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain young man, and it does hurt. Thanks for posting this as knowledge is a very good thing for all of us. Just for the record, yesterday was day 97 after that POS. Clearly early. Would have could have should have. Try not to look back but ahead. It'll get better.
    [B]Jeff Ronne Sr/The Boaphile/Director USARK
    [URL="http://www.usark.org"]http://www.usark.org[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.theboaphile.com"]http://www.theboaphile.com[/URL][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear that Jeff, try not to blame yourself
    Kevin Stewart

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer..

Thanks for posting it up anyway. Like you said if you think they are gravid treat them like they are..

Were the babies far enough along to get any insight to what her next litter might look like for you?
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

Check my available snakes at this link:
    http://www.reptileinsider.com/classi...panamared.html

I rejoined facebook... I don't feel good about it...

[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Default I really blew it..

Sorry to hear about that one Jeff, I did that in '07 and
    lost a small ghost Het Bino litter

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that...Man now you got me thinking, I just fed a few of my gravid girls, and they struck pretty hard too...I'm gonna slow it down now..
    www.TheBoaCollective.com
    Anthony Phommasith

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, take it easy on yourself....yeah you screwed up but you were acting on what you thought was going on and in the best interest of the female. You years of experience told you that she was not gravid....that is why they call it boa breeding and not boa making.

Mom is okay so you will get another shot, chin up friend
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AntGreenTea View Post
    Sorry to hear that...Man now you got me thinking, I just fed a few of my gravid girls, and they struck pretty hard too...I'm gonna slow it down now..
    We were just talking about that huh tony?

Sorry to hear that Jeff.
    Richard Ceniceros

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear that bro, I don't knopw what to say
    Alex Burgos

Post Thanks / Like

Bad luck !Good post thanks

Thread Information