Facebook

» Online Users: 87

0 members and 87 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

One subject that has been lightly touched here is prey choices for neonates. I have found best results with rat pinkies. They tend to help especially with those localities that have issues with mouse hair as babies. Having a hairless food item is the primary reason here. Eases their stomachs into digestion and they grow more rapidly on the rats than the same size mice.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there are some folks who are not really thinking of the animals' welfare, but more their pocketbook.

They want to keep the animal in the baby tub as long as possible, and minimize money spent on feeders, and perhaps add an extra year or two before they have any competition in the market from another mature breeder.

By the way, I am NOT referring to any of this forums members who are obviously concerned with taking the best care of their animals.

For me I like to watch an animal's process and let that tell me when it is time to feed next. I also think an "appropriately sized food item" will be very noticeable as a bulge and that that is not unhealthy as long as it is within reason.

I do not feed an animal that is obviously still "packing" from the last meal. This strikes me as very unhealthy.
    Adam Mattel

[url=http://www.boasamongus.com/][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting topic. My work and family schedule make it difficult for me to keep my snakes on an exact schedule and to a degree, dictate the schedule. During times when I am able to, I like to stay on a 14 day feeding schedule. it's not uncommon for that to become 3 weeks intermittently when job travel, family or other things get in the way.

As far as prey size goes, I keep it small relative to the size of the animal, especially for the first 18 - 24 months. Once animals are about 4 feet long (year 3 or so) they will get fed larger meals relative to their size. Contrary to many of the others who responded to this ad, I seem to have less issues feeding rats (pinkies and fuzzies) than I do mice.

My females typically achieve 6 - 7 feet in length in 5 - 6 years. I'm only working with BCC.

This girl is a 2002 animal produced here so she is coming up on 8 years. She's about 7 1/2 feet fight now. I think she looks totally healthy. If I fed her more and larger meals, I'm sure she could be 10 foot. I sold a guy a sibling back on 2002. In three years the animal was over 7 feet and feeding on small rabbits. Blew my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use a schedule and I couldn't tell you when any of my snakes had their last meal. - not that it's been all that long, I just don't see a need to remember...the current information is what is important to me (what is going on with that boa now?).

Good posts and reading on this thread.

jeffreyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Thomas View Post
    I agree with you on the fuzzy mice being to small for most Bci and for Peru Bcc but for the shield Bcc I think they are the safest way to go to avoid regurgitation syndrome and so far I have been lucky enough to avoid that affliction.

I also try to use adult mice for as long as possible for the lower fat content than young rats.....for the ones that I am raising myself it is all about cooking them slow and avoiding obese animals as adults.
    I just got a '10 Peruv.Longtail, I want to know if fuzzy rats would be a good size to use. I just bought some rat pups from rodentpro, I think that they would be to big for a sm. baby, so I was wondering what ones to get, I want to stay with rats.

jeffreyr Guest

Very nice looking Boa...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PanamaRed View Post

On the shield BCC I just told someone to buy a het roswell from the same litter as mine. My male is 46 inches feeding on small rats. So a friend of mine contacted them about getting a male het and they told him they were feeding on hopper mice. I can't say their feeding is wrong but we are talking about a 14 month old eating hopper mice VS a sibling here feeding on small rats with ease..

My male has never had an issues feeding I don't have to push him he gets there on his own. But at the same time I also put my male in a 2x2x1 cage shortly after I got him. I knew he was a keeper early on and he went into a cage not a little tub.
    This is intresting as i think it also has something to do with how much BCC blood they realy got! As some of you know i have an ´08 het. Roswell female too... for example, she is the meanest and most agressive Boa i have ever had! She ate just fine all the time, as long as i left the food over night, otherwise she was just to "active" to take food! BUT, i fed alot of other Boas from ´08 too in the excact same way and those others just made more out of the food they got! She ate and pooped just fine but didn´t grow alot, she is now at 3,5 ft. my others are almost at 4,5 ft.! Rather slow raised animals! She just started to "use" her food more and i growing like crazy now, my ´06 peruvian did the same and is over 8ft. now and still very slim, taking food and is growing...! I also have an ´07 columbian albino that is over 8ft. and NOT breedable right now! They grow into monsters, but need time for it!

A friend made some surinam crosses and he also recognized that they don´t use the food as others do!

what do you think?

Jörn
    www.snakeline.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyr View Post
    I just got a '10 Peruv.Longtail, I want to know if fuzzy rats would be a good size to use. I just bought some rat pups from rodentpro, I think that they would be to big for a sm. baby, so I was wondering what ones to get, I want to stay with rats.
    And here I thought we all knew about ****** ***....

It's impossible for us to tell you what size prey item to buy. We'd have to see the animal in comparison to something. Also, "size" varies by rodent dealer. Not sure any of us use that particular supplier anymore. Best bet is to ask the seller what they were feeding it before and continue with the same size prey.

jb

Post Thanks / Like

My 2006 surinames are siblings, the male was originally bought by someone else and I got him at 2 years of age. He was fed every 7 days, and was considerably longer and of more mass than my female. Since I have put him on a new course he has not grown much more, and my female has just caught up with him. They tell me when they are hungry by getting up and moving, esp at night. When they start becoming active at around 3 weeks to a month then I give them a meal, but sometimes I let them prowl even longer. I feed the female a large rat, and the male a small-medium. They both are shy of 6ft.

The rest of my collection is mostly under two years of age. I start all my babies on mice and feed them about once every 10 days. I do not stuff them either. I try to keep all of my snakes on mice since the fat of a rat of equivelent size is much greater, or until a large mouse is too small. I do occasionally feed a rat just so they do not become partial to mice. If I see a boa becoming chubby, I let them ride out a feeding or two. I try to keep my snakes lean. It is quite amazing to me how some species of boa seem to explode with growth on the same meal that others seem to just maintain. I also notice that fecal size is a good indicator of wether your feeding too much or too little. If my snakes poo a very small pile, it tells me that they are using up every resource from the meal. If they leave a huge pile it tells me they are being over fed. So I make adjustments from that as well.
    At around a year I lengthen the time to 14-18 days, but with a very broad collection of locales/species there really is not a buckshot coverall schedule. Notes and observation become very important at that point.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post Chris. And a great observation about the poop size!

jb

Thread Information