Facebook

» Online Users: 87

0 members and 87 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

This is intresting as i think it also has something to do with how much BCC blood they realy got! As some of you know i have an ī08 het. Roswell female too... for example, she is the meanest and most agressive Boa i have ever had! She ate just fine all the time, as long as i left the food over night, otherwise she was just to "active" to take food! BUT, i fed alot of other Boas from ī08 too in the excact same way and those others just made more out of the food they got! She ate and pooped just fine but didnīt grow alot, she is now at 3,5 ft. my others are almost at 4,5 ft.! Rather slow raised animals! She just started to "use" her food more and i growing like crazy now
    I think the male I have here even though he is technically only 37.5% Suriname is actually more like a Suriname than a BCI. I think he's larger than his siblings due to the space he has to move, and I never fed him baby rodents. he was over 2ft when I got him he was past the stage of needing baby rodents to feed on. I ran him through all sizes of mice from smalls up to XL mice and moved him on to small rats. BTW.. Mine is as mellow as could be, unless I have a rat on the end of tongs...LOL...

I really do use yogurt, it jump starts their digestive system and have little problems getting them to feed afterward.

My room is also heated to 80+ degrees most of the year and mid 70's winter during breeding.

I never fed any baby BCC I have had here different than I do my other boas they do just fine.

One subject that has been lightly touched here is prey choices for neonates. I have found best results with rat pinkies. They tend to help especially with those localities that have issues with mouse hair as babies. Having a hairless food item is the primary reason here. Eases their stomachs into digestion and they grow more rapidly on the rats than the same size mice.
    I do the exact opposite. I never want to feed them hairless babies.. Fur is like fiber to snakes keeps their stools solid. Yogurt, makes feeding baby boas so easy... Giving them a little squirt down the throat is less intrusive than sexing them, just have to be swift about doing it and put them bak in their tub and let them be. Week later they will nail whatever it is you have to offer them..
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

Check my available snakes at this link:
    http://www.reptileinsider.com/classi...panamared.html

I rejoined facebook... I don't feel good about it...

[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don't think it matters what you feed them , and don't think the size of the meal has anything to do with regurge. I think even babies can handle quite a large meal if given proper time to pass through their system (2 weeks ain't enough). After a talk with Barry , Andy and I have both switched to feeding only after the animal defecates regardless of age or size. With this feeding regimen I haven't seen any regurges even in previously problematic animals. I don't think the animals grow any slower because they aren't eating more than once every 3-4 weeks.
    [I]Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.[/I]

[B]Ralph Waldo Emerson[/B]

jeffreyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
    And here I thought we all knew about ****** ***....

It's impossible for us to tell you what size prey item to buy. We'd have to see the animal in comparison to something. Also, "size" varies by rodent dealer. Not sure any of us use that particular supplier anymore. Best bet is to ask the seller what they were feeding it before and continue with the same size prey.

jb
    Thanks, I just wanted to check and see, it is a 2010 baby, got it from LLLRept.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Thomas View Post
    I was having a discussion on this last evening and have answered several questions as to my opinion on feeding and growing Bcc slow.

I have been accused of growing them to slow but the results my animals give me tell me that they are thriving well.

I feed neonates a fuzzy mouse or rat pinky once every 10 days. after the frist year they go to a 14 day schedule, at the beginning of the third year the females remain on the 14 day schedule and the males are then fed once a month.

I also want to note that I feed only large enough prey to put just a slight bulge in the animal just after it has consumed the prey item.

This is an 08 female Suriname just at 30 inches and feeging on large adult mice or weaned rat pups every two weeks.

This is an 07 Blast litter Peruvian male on a once a month feeding schedule

This guy is one of those that just grow faster he is a Rentfro Peru boa, a year younger than the Blast animal above but just as bi if not bigger , he was put on once a month feeding earlier than most my males.

This is another Blast Peru Boa but this is a girl and a bit larger that her brother, she is maintained on the 14 day feeding program.
    I have 4 08s here! males are on rat pups and females are on weaned rats with a rabbit pinky every now and then.So your right on to me slow is way for me.But i feed my adult males in the summer!I only got one.And hes from big mike!He has been breeding and feed lightly up until a month ago.He likes food i feed him 2 large rats about a month ago after leaving his girl.A week later hes slamming the glass every time i walk in.So then a jumbo rat, a week later slam, he has scratch my new prolines all up.So he got a small 1 pound plus rabbit.That fixed him hes full for awhile.Mike feeds his critters.My male would always be hungry with a once a month feeding.Maybe if he wasnt breed and feed a jumbo every month .all year long he may not nail glass.And he is tame by the way, Once you let him know its you.I wouldnt just reach in like im grabbing a puppy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Damico View Post
    Interesting topic. My work and family schedule make it difficult for me to keep my snakes on an exact schedule and to a degree, dictate the schedule. During times when I am able to, I like to stay on a 14 day feeding schedule. it's not uncommon for that to become 3 weeks intermittently when job travel, family or other things get in the way.

As far as prey size goes, I keep it small relative to the size of the animal, especially for the first 18 - 24 months. Once animals are about 4 feet long (year 3 or so) they will get fed larger meals relative to their size. Contrary to many of the others who responded to this ad, I seem to have less issues feeding rats (pinkies and fuzzies) than I do mice.

My females typically achieve 6 - 7 feet in length in 5 - 6 years. I'm only working with BCC.

This girl is a 2002 animal produced here so she is coming up on 8 years. She's about 7 1/2 feet fight now. I think she looks totally healthy. If I fed her more and larger meals, I'm sure she could be 10 foot. I sold a guy a sibling back on 2002. In three years the animal was over 7 feet and feeding on small rabbits. Blew my mind.

So what you feeding this girl?

Post Thanks / Like

Great post so glad I found this forum. Most of my boas are 08 and I feed them every 2-3 weeks small rats. My oldest boa a male 07 peruvian I feed on every 3 weeks and he gets a medium rat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasmay View Post
    Great post so glad I found this forum. Most of my boas are 08 and I feed them every 2-3 weeks small rats. My oldest boa a male 07 peruvian I feed on every 3 weeks and he gets a medium rat.
    Sounds like a good program to me, My Peruvian male that is bred for me this season is an 05 and he is on medium rats and doing excellent.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

Thread Information