Facebook

» Online Users: 62

0 members and 62 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Thread: A New First

Post Thanks / Like

Default A New First

I've had a Leioheterodon geayi for a few years now. He was a 3' long subadult when I got him, and ate whatever was in front of him, but once he hit about 4' he stopped growing and got finicky. I've found that the best way to keep him happy is to use f/t hoppers and to use a hairdryer to slightly cook one, then smear its leakage over the others.
    Well, Tuesday is my weekly split-shift, where I put in five hours, punch out for four, and then punch back in for six. So with all that time to kill, Tuesday has evolved into snake-feeding day. I also tend to tweak my turtle-feeding and Netflix schedules a bit to coincide with it, too.
    Anyway, this week, the hairdryer finally broke. I tried a bunch of five-second blasts in the microwave to get the same smell, but Sigmund just wasn't buying it. He refused to eat. Fortunately, his downstairs neighbor (large female H. nasicus) was willing to take one for the team and help me dispose of any unwanted rodents.
    Today I finally found a new hairdryer that was only ten bucks. Befoe that it was ridiculous. Even in so-called "discount stores," everything was at least 20 bucks. Many were 40. And, lest anybody miss the humor of this post, I am quite bald. Granted, if I stopped shaving my head I would be slightly less bald, but I would be slighly less bald in the same sense as, say, George Costanza.
    It is ridiculous enough for a bald man to purchase a hairdryer. It is absolutely patently ABSURD for bald man to pay twenty dollars for a hairdryer and then give it to a snake. Ten bucks just brings it back to ridiculous. I mean, I'd have gotten the thing anyway. If your snake will only eat mice when he thinks it's Easter, you start shopping for bunny suits and worry about "curing" him later. But not paying out the wazoo for it takes the edge off and keeps the whole thing as funy as it should be.
    Anyway, ten buck cheapo or not, I am hereby claiming my rightful place (until challenged,) as first bald guy to have to buy a hairdryer for his snake!
    WTF, as long as I'm here... picture of Sigmund:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JackAsp; 03-04-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    Bebe, 0.1 2006 [I]Heterodon nasicus[/I]
    Hengo, 0.1 age uncertain [I]Chaunus marinus[/I]
    Queequeg, 1.0 2006 [I]Malaclemys terrapin[/I]
    Sigmund, 1.0 2006 [I]Leioheterodon geayi[/I]
    Winkle, 1.0 2008 [I]Pituophis catenifer sayi[/I]
    Pancho, Lupe, and Chica, 1.2 2008 [I]Crotaphytus collaris[/I]
    Cesar and Nino, 2.0 2009 [I]Crotaphytus collaris[/I]
    Varying number of [I] Hirudo medicinalis[/I]
    Whatever feeder bugs are on Death Row

Broussard, LA with my wife Kayla and our "zoo". LOL
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL Gotta love those picky eaters! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Well, tried feeding him again today. Hairblew one mouse until it was leaking and stinky, rubbed it onto three more, and stuck him in a bucket with them all while I cleaned his cage. He slurped down every single one of them, and based on how little effort he was making to get out of the bucket I think he'd have eaten one or two more if they'd been offered. Usually he eats a couple and then just wants to go back to climbing around. With his wiry little bush-climber frame, though, four hoppers actually makes him look noticeably more sausage-like. That's the maximum I'm comfortable offering him. He can eat again next Tuesday. I'm just glad there wasn't anything wrong beyond his favorite kitchen utensil breaking down.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool story.

How did you originally think of the hair dryer cook-n-smear?
    Last edited by Bill S.; 03-08-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: .

Post Thanks / Like

I'd heard of blowdrying as trick to stimulating finicky ball pythons.
    The over-cooking thing was serendipity. It happened accidentally, I tried it, he loved it, so I kept doing it. Since the smell of the final product is a lot like old fried chicken grease, and frog and lizard are often compared to chicken, I think that there may be a breaking down of proteins involved that makes the mice smell more like his natural prey.
    Or, maybe he just a weird little loony. Awesome snake, though. When I finally moved him into his adult housing I opted for a 48X24X14, and I use not only multiple hides and branches but also an elevated magnetic "treehouse" to keep up with his proto-elapid activity level. And often as not, if I open the cage door for over two minutes during the afternoon, he'll come out to play on me.
    Such a cute little wimp that I always feel like I'm kind of cheating by mentioning him on a rear-fanged forum, but calling him a "hognose" is a far, far bigger stretch. Madagascan "hognoses" and American hognoses have about as much in common as anoles and chameleons.

Broussard, LA with my wife Kayla and our "zoo". LOL
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought his facail features looked like a hognose. Then you talked about him climbing around and I changed my mind.
    Sounds like a cool, interesting pet snake!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, glad you have things on track now.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

Thread Information