Facebook

» Online Users: 44

0 members and 44 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default could somebody please explain.....

the VPI pink panther....is this just a pastel, that is a resessive pastel, or what? i have heard nothing more than a nice, resessive pastel....to another full blown t positive...i would like to pick one up, but would like to understand the gene a little bit better. thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding, pink panther is like a pastel line but vpi is t pos for instance you can have a vpi that isn't a pink panther, or you can have a pink panther het vpi, so basically vpi is a tpos animal and vpi pink panther would be specific line of pastel vpi. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, tony I'm sure you can chime in with all the vpi stock you have to clear this up.
    DownSouthSnakes

3. Thanks snakedoktor thanked for this post
    Likes snakedoktor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My response explanation of Pink Panther (PP) VPI boas will probably offend/upset some people who have spent a lot of money on the project. For that I am sorry, but this is how the PP gene works to the best of my knowledge.....

First and foremost, PP is best explained as a pinkish shading, or pastelish resemblence, IN VISUAL VPI BOAS! This is very important, as I will explain in a minute.

Tracy of VPI, created the PP trait as she sold some of the most beautiful VPI boas ever. Very pink colored babies that stood out in a crowd. Not all VPI animals are PP though, as the PP clearly stand out when next to a normal VPI. Even into adulthood, the PP remain a beautiful pink/pastel that is clearly recognizeable from normal VPI boas.

Tracy sold PP boas along with "hets for PP T+".

Now this is where people will likely become upset. To my knowledge, the PP trait was and has never been recognizeable in non visual T+ animals. For instance, I see animals for sale as "PP Motleys het VPI". Does the seller mean that the motley is het for PP T+? Because a PP Motley wouldnt have to be het for VPI, you coud create just normal PP Motleys not het for anything if that were the case right? (which cannot be done as PP is a term strictly linked to T+)

Now, someone may argue that the PP T+ influence comes out in the motleys, causing them to appear different. In my opinion, these socalled PP Motleys het VPI don't look any different than any other motley in existence. If they do have slight differences, we can point out how much motleys differ from one to the next, or we could even point out how the VPI gene does some GOOFY things to the hets and gives them beautiful coloration, making the hets recognizeable in a sense. Some hets I've seen (and own) really make an argument that they wanted to be visuals.

My point is that the term PP has become WAY overused and improperly describes a lot of animals. I already stated how PP is used to describe non visual boas, but I also see visual T+ boas that are named PP when they are clearly not. You know PP when you see it! PP is becoming much like the term "coral" when describing kahl strain albino. It is way overused as a selling point, but is not accurately describing the animal.

In summary, PP T+ is recognizeable only in visual T+ animals, not the hets that we see advertised as PP Motleys, or PP Hypos, etc. When buying a PP, use your instinct. PP animals stand out and are easily recognizeable. You will know it when you see one and won't need a second opinion.

I would be very selective who I buy PP from because everybody claims to have PP, but very few actually do. PP is a gene where you truely get what you pay for, a top of the line PP will blow away pretty much any other T+, so you cannot expect a real bargain price. PP's really have the "Duh factor" in my opinion, where you look at it and say "DUH thats a PP" or "duh, thats NOT a PP". It's pretty easy to see.

Sorry if I upset anyone by this, this is the way I have understood the PP gene since they were first created, and I've seen the name get misused and twisted ever since. This is my 2 cents on the gene.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I think the problem with identyfying Pink Panthers does not exist. The problem is that people claim normal VPI T+ boas to be PP, and that makes it confusing for those unfamilliar with the trait...

6. Likes DownSouthSnakes liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Antonucci View Post
    My response explanation of Pink Panther (PP) VPI boas will probably offend/upset some people who have spent a lot of money on the project. For that I am sorry, but this is how the PP gene works to the best of my knowledge.....

First and foremost, PP is best explained as a pinkish shading, or pastelish resemblence, IN VISUAL VPI BOAS! This is very important, as I will explain in a minute.

Tracy of VPI, created the PP trait as she sold some of the most beautiful VPI boas ever. Very pink colored babies that stood out in a crowd. Not all VPI animals are PP though, as the PP clearly stand out when next to a normal VPI. Even into adulthood, the PP remain a beautiful pink/pastel that is clearly recognizeable from normal VPI boas.

Tracy sold PP boas along with "hets for PP T+".

Now this is where people will likely become upset. To my knowledge, the PP trait was and has never been recognizeable in non visual T+ animals. For instance, I see animals for sale as "PP Motleys het VPI". Does the seller mean that the motley is het for PP T+? Because a PP Motley wouldnt have to be het for VPI, you coud create just normal PP Motleys not het for anything if that were the case right? (which cannot be done as PP is a term strictly linked to T+)

Now, someone may argue that the PP T+ influence comes out in the motleys, causing them to appear different. In my opinion, these socalled PP Motleys het VPI don't look any different than any other motley in existence. If they do have slight differences, we can point out how much motleys differ from one to the next, or we could even point out how the VPI gene does some GOOFY things to the hets and gives them beautiful coloration, making the hets recognizeable in a sense. Some hets I've seen (and own) really make an argument that they wanted to be visuals.

My point is that the term PP has become WAY overused and improperly describes a lot of animals. I already stated how PP is used to describe non visual boas, but I also see visual T+ boas that are named PP when they are clearly not. You know PP when you see it! PP is becoming much like the term "coral" when describing kahl strain albino. It is way overused as a selling point, but is not accurately describing the animal.

In summary, PP T+ is recognizeable only in visual T+ animals, not the hets that we see advertised as PP Motleys, or PP Hypos, etc. When buying a PP, use your instinct. PP animals stand out and are easily recognizeable. You will know it when you see one and won't need a second opinion.

I would be very selective who I buy PP from because everybody claims to have PP, but very few actually do. PP is a gene where you truely get what you pay for, a top of the line PP will blow away pretty much any other T+, so you cannot expect a real bargain price. PP's really have the "Duh factor" in my opinion, where you look at it and say "DUH thats a PP" or "duh, thats NOT a PP". It's pretty easy to see.

Sorry if I upset anyone by this, this is the way I have understood the PP gene since they were first created, and I've seen the name get misused and twisted ever since. This is my 2 cents on the gene.

Thanks for clearing that up tony! Like they say you learn something new every day and to me that is valuable info because I have yet to invest in the vpi line of tpos so this should help when We do decide to venture from bwc
    DownSouthSnakes

Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much tony! you totally answered every question that i had. i think that the over used terms are all over in the reptile market, not just pp and boas...but everything. that is really sad too, because someone wants to make a few extra buck$, how many people have been duped into buying something, thinking they have something special...only to grow it up, breed it...and get not so special stuff. but again, thank you, and honestly...if someone gets offended by anything you stated, they are simply too sensitive. what you say makes a lot of sense to me, and it is what it is...why not call an orange, an orange? thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I just became a big fan of Tony.
    Just say "NO" to FACEBOOK !

10. Likes Jonathan Brady liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Morgans Boas View Post
    I just became a big fan of Tony.
    Ditto! I liked and thanked the post. I was searching around for other stuff to show my appreciation of the post too, but alas, that was it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
    Ditto! I liked and thanked the post. I was searching around for other stuff to show my appreciation of the post too, but alas, that was it
    I could imagine you would! That was a very Jonathan Brady-esque outspoken post, all while being very informative!
    DownSouthSnakes

13. Likes Jonathan Brady liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

no doubt! now i can look around and buy with confidence, and not worry...this post will help me KNOW what i am looking for, and also what to watch for...that right there is worth more than you probably know Tony, thank you.

Thread Information