Facebook

» Online Users: 85

0 members and 85 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tubing yogurt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tubing yogurt

I've had a pair of "problem children" for over a year - ever since the move from the stable environment of my house in Orlando to the more variable and substantially warmer environment of my garage in Sarasota - that seem to do well for several meals in a row, and then puke one up. They haven't gained weight in over a year because of the repeated regurges. Damn touchy BCC...

Anyway, I decided to try tubing some yogurt last night and all went well of course, but I wanted to share something that I found out that others may benefit from...

Greek yogurt! Personally, I'm a fan. LOVE the Chobani Vanilla flavor - which is odd because I'm not a fan of vanilla. For those who don't know, greek yogurt is thicker than traditional American yogurt (the consistency is similar to sour cream - but the taste obviously is not) and it's LOADED with protein!!! For reptiles, the important part of the yogurt is the live active cultures. So, I did a quick search on Greek Yogurt and live cultures and came up with the fact that Greek Yogurt DOES have live active cultures. In fact, according to this link... http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...eek-yogurt.asp Greek Yogurt (at least the Chobani variety) has a higher concentration of them and probiotics. Personally, I was signing up for the 14 grams of protein per serving (a serving of raw skinless chicken has about 21 grams - just as a reference) so that I didn't have to feel bad for depriving them of their protein source But, I'll take the other extras too!

Just thought others may be interested.

jb

Post Thanks / Like

very interesting JB, thank you for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

wait wait lol pump the brakes, I have a "problem" baby been having the same issue with her for 3 months. Shell keep 2-3 feedings fine then bam she spits a meal up. She starts looking dehydrated. Take her to my vet to for an injection of fluids and she perks back up bam she does it again gggrrr
    This yogurt thing is this something you are just now trying. Have people used this with success?? Because I have greek plain yogurt in my fridge right now ( thanks to my hardcore diet) does this work? please go into more detail...
    Jen <3

Post Thanks / Like

The yogurt trick works.. I have been doing this for quite some time, I started doing this back when I had premie baby boas that refused food several times. They absorbed less yolk so they lacked some of the gut fauna more full term babies had. Then I started using it on picky babies, it worked again.. What helps is the live bacterial culture in the yogurt builds the snakes gut fauna, it works the same way it does for you. This helps them better digest meals, and makes them hungry as they digest their food fully and properly.

I use it all of the time now if new babies refuse food 2 times the 3 time is a squirt of yogurt down their throat. Next time I offer food they nail it..

Works great for new animals that may have gotten cold in transit (during shipping) as well.

The Greek yogurt is JB's addition, I can't see some protein hurting, I used to use chicken or turkey baby food mixed in but pretty much just use the yogurt now.
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

Check my available snakes at this link:
    http://www.reptileinsider.com/classi...panamared.html

I rejoined facebook... I don't feel good about it...

[/I]

5. Likes LarM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post. Good info. Hope those 2 hold down meals know they've had a little yogurt.
    Brad Travers

Post Thanks / Like

So shes had 3 good weekly feedings on 2/28 she puked. would I give her a squirt right after the unsuccessful meal or the following week in replacement of a prey item?? and then the following week offer a small prey item or....
    Jen <3

Post Thanks / Like

JB, which flavor do they prefer? HEHEHE Good info by the way.
    Joe Dau

I thought i was wrong once, but alas I was mistaken.....

Post Thanks / Like

What do you use for tubing JB? I broke 2 pinkie pumps last year. Operator error I'm sure. Just curious what others use.

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic syringe and tubing - just like the first three items here: http://beanfarm.com/index.php?cPath=1199

Then I disconnect the syringe from the tube without pulling it out and connect another with water in it and squirt some down there to ensure I get most of the yogurt out.

jb

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and Jendee... I take pukers slow. I don't get them anywhere near weekly feeding frequency for a good 6 months. I start out at 3 week intervals after a puke for about 2-3 feedings, then go to 2 week intervals. By the way, all of those meals are at least "half-sized". Then, rather than increase frequency further, I'll go to incrementally larger prey. Once I'm up to full size every 2 weeks, then I'll consider weekly for a few feedings to try and regain some weight. By this time, I'm POSITIVE they won't puke again.

Wait another week, then tube some yogurt. Give it about 2-3 weeks, then feed a small meal.

Joe, they're prefer the fruity yogurts. They are tropical animals, after all!

For anyone who takes that seriously... I'm kidding. I just use the "plain" kind.
    jb

Thread Information