Facebook

» Online Users: 95

1 members and 94 guests
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tubing yogurt

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of quantities are you giving everyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
    Oh, and Jendee... I take pukers slow. I don't get them anywhere near weekly feeding frequency for a good 6 months. I start out at 3 week intervals after a puke for about 2-3 feedings, then go to 2 week intervals. By the way, all of those meals are at least "half-sized". Then, rather than increase frequency further, I'll go to incrementally larger prey. Once I'm up to full size every 2 weeks, then I'll consider weekly for a few feedings to try and regain some weight. By this time, I'm POSITIVE they won't puke again.

Wait another week, then tube some yogurt. Give it about 2-3 weeks, then feed a small meal.

Joe, they're prefer the fruity yogurts. They are tropical animals, after all!

For anyone who takes that seriously... I'm kidding. I just use the "plain" kind.
    jb
    Awesome!! Im excited lol Thanks for posting this I was giving her 14 days after a puke. If she kept the meal down I would feed her again the following week. Maybe that's my problem too much too fast :/

I was just looking at the soft tube versus the needle with ball tip tube ones. So Ill get the soft tubed ones ya maybe now I can get her on track!! the whole raising babies thing is completely different from buying already well started-yrling babes lol
    Jen <3

Post Thanks / Like

Great info...
    I hope I don't have to use it but glad I got it.This info is greatly appreciated thanks JB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimVandeveld View Post
    What kind of quantities are you giving everyone?
    I actually tubed a fair amount. Roughly 4-5 cc's followed by about 3 cc's of water.
    jb

Post Thanks / Like

Hi JB,

What sort of ambient temps are your snakes exposed to in the garage? Is the regurgitation in cycle with high ambient temps? Reason I ask is because I rarely see my snakes on the warm end of the cage when digesting, maybe for a day or so but not constantly and not always right after they have fed. The cool ends of the enclosures here are 78-80F, this is what I note with the majority of my boas not just bcc.

I hope you can get them well soon!
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Chris,
    This all started during fall when ambient temps were around what you're describing. It's continued all year, happening at different temperatures - there doesn't seem to be any correlation. I never believed in regurgitation syndrome before now - I think that's all it is. A cycle of going downhill that's hard to stop. I think the fact that I don't push my boas is all that has saved them. I had one get REALLY skinny and he actually is bouncing back pretty well right now - he just looks like he's missed about 2-3 meals - which he has because of my winter cooldown. I've only fed twice since warming back up. So, I'm encouraged... Hopefully the yogurt is just additional help!
    jb

Post Thanks / Like

Yep Ed gave me the yogurt tip 3-4 years ago and I use it all the time for just about any situation . . . . I think this stiff works wonders with Boa guts,extremely helpful !

P.S. I'll have to give the Chobanni 'Greek a shot

Post Thanks / Like

Four years ago I had a boa from a respectable source kind of have the same situation. It would eat a meal or two, then regurge one. The regurges smelled like a rotten fish and was quite odoriferous. I was doing the standard protocol to handle the regurges and just when I thought things were back to normal it would do it again! I contacted the seller and asked about it, and he told me about Flagyl. I took that snake to my vet and described the situation. She was familiar with treating this and she did in fact prescribe the Flagyl, it was the generic. I do not remember the dosage, but I had to give it to the snake 2x, and two weeks or so apart. She also suggested I use Nutra-bac in the water the snake drinks and dusted to the food. I did all that and that snake never did it again. She is still alive and quite healthy.

I still use Nutra-bac in my snakes water intermittently throughout the year. It contains the same bacteria as yogurt, but also several more strains of beneficial digestive bacteria. I do not know if it helps or not, but I have not had any regurges occur from any boa since then.

I tell you too, I have fed the crap out of baby bcc just to see what might or might not occur and have not had a single regurge, or any other issue. A guy who bought a male from me last year says that snake is over 4ft long now and has not had any issues. (I was shocked when he told me as he was feeding even more than I ever tried) What is interesting though is that another guy who has been feeding very sparingly, and kept the snakes warmer than what I would do, has had regurge issues? So there is some real question in my mind about feeding small meals to boas, my working experience is completely the opposite of the mainstream ideal.

I find it very interesting the differences in experiences and techniques with these mysterious animals. It is always a learning experience for sure!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Rodent Flavored Yogurt....hmmm. wish I had a lab

Thread Information