Facebook

» Online Users: 46

0 members and 46 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default over rated / under rated.....

what are your thoughts on the most over rated projects, and the most under rated projects....since i started the thread, for me

most under rated; squaretail

most over rated; blood boas. (although jb's jungle blood is another level totally!)...
    Rick Moss

Broussard, LA with my wife Kayla and our "zoo". LOL
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snakedoktor View Post
    what are your thoughts on the most over rated projects, and the most under rated projects....since i started the thread, for me

most under rated; squaretail

most over rated; blood boas. (although jb's jungle blood is another level totally!)...
    You mean Brandon's jungle blood.

Some projects haven't panned out yet. Do super marrons produce babies?

Desert ball pythons are awesome, but females don't breed. So, a desert male bred to a coral glow girl could produce desert coral glows. If the baby desert coral glow is a female---end of the road for her. Be a cool looking snake though.

Blood boas. I love a good bloody salmon. Not trying to start a contraversy though. Sunglow blood!!!

A lot are underated. Overated---aaa---I like them all, just can't afford some. LOL

The BP example was brought up because i paid 3 times the going price for a male desert last year. Doooped! LOL
    Last edited by Bayou Exotics; 04-08-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Most under rated but picking up is the squaretail IMO
    And most over rated and over priced IMO is the marron, I just don't think they are worth the asking price, there is a lot of stuff overseas that is much nicer and much more red than them, like super pastels and red tigers, check out some of petr hoferica's stuff, it's out of this world! Especially this purple sunglow super pastel keltic!
    DownSouthSnakes

Post Thanks / Like

Just to give you an idea of the kind of out of this world stuff I'm talking about here's a pic of the purple sunglow super pastel keltic, the quality isn't the best but you'll get the idea!
    DownSouthSnakes

5. Likes THCMAN, Boaz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm... interesting topic. I believe certain projects will always sell (sunglows, aberant jungles, vibrant BCC, etc.), other projects are about trying to create something new (new pattern/color morphs/combos). Personally, I think there are a lot of projects that can't be fully appreciated because people can't see the snakes in person. There is a HUGE difference from what a snake looks like in person compared to even a professional picture. There are so many different hues of color that aren't always picked up by even the best photographers, not to mention the many different looks the same boa can have depending on whether they just shed, just ate, or are still in there baby grays. I have quite a few boas that have amazing pink hughes to them and others that have 5 different shades of dark coloring. Even with a great camera and a really expensive lens, it's hard to capture the vitality of these amazing snakes.

In addition, what one person considers to be the most valuable snake on the planet, the next person may disagree with. If you are prospecting for your next investment I'd suggest buying what you like or buying what sells. The goal of any business in a competitive market is to either gain market share or maximize profit. Here's an example: produce 2000 albino boas in 1 season and sell them for $100 each to wholesalers (market share), or breed the 2 most expensive snakes in the market and sell 20 babies from the litter for $10k each (profit). Either way you make $200k. These are rough examples to describe the very basic ideas behind business.

I won't speculate as to which boas I think will do well, and which won't because a lot of my friends are heavily vested in some of these projects. Too many people believe what they read, and if they read that boa X isn't worth anything, then they tend to not only believe it, but also tell their friends who may be interested in buying said boa.

On a slightly different note but still related to this thread, I believe that all of us that are still breeding boas are in the perfect place at the perfect time. I believe that all of our boas are going to be worth more money considering how many people exited the market leaving more market share for the rest of us. There are currently only 3 pages of classified ads on the other website. Two years ago there were 10 pages. If everyone pays attention, they'll see that lowering prices to sell your snakes is no longer necessary. I have already been contacted by multiple people this season who want to purchase boas that I haven't even produced yet (and there not necessarily high-end animals). I feel that the mentality of "I need to sell this snake for less than last year's price" is at a point where it will be detrimental to our hobby. If we start selling boas for the value they're actually worth, meaning the highest price that someone is willing to pay, then we will draw more potential boa-breeders into our market. After all, who wants to breed boas if they are only worth $200 each?

There was a litter produced last week by a breeder and they made 3 very unique snakes that were sold within the first few days of the litter hitting the ground. Prior to this litter arriving there were only about 3-4 to be know in existence. I'm expecting a similar litter so I asked what they sold the babies for, they replied $1200-$1500 each. My jaw just about hit the floor! I was anticipating $3000 each, easily. I personally would have bought one from them for $3000 and not even thought twice about it. There is a concept in economics called price elasticity, it basically says that if a product is priced too low it will sell out very fast and if it is priced too high it won't sell at all. In order to maximize revenue, a seller is better off starting with a higher price and coming down to meet the demand price of the market.

I really would like to see everyone in our tight nit community talking highly of everyone else's projects and encouraging new buyers/breeders to enter the market. Many of us who are still in have been buying the best looking snakes we can afford and it only makes sense that even though we are producing another Kahl sunglow, if it looks better than the generations before it, it's only right that we charge more money for it.

Sorry for the long rant, I hope everyone has a very productive breeding season.

-Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Im curious to see this thread tommorow at this time should be interesting to see these replies,though i think alot will not comment due to hobby "politics".... Just my opnion... for me its really simple

most overrated = all morphs

most underrated = all BCC & BCA

8. Likes Bayou Exotics liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

overrated = type 1 anery anything - as adults, the vast majority of the time, they're UGLY brown boas with absolutely no red in the tail - what's the appeal???
    underrated = locality BCC - not only are many of them beautiful, but they aren't as easy to breed and the average price has gone up over the last decade, unlike morph projects.

Post Thanks / Like

For me I think differently than most. I beleive the best beauty and most under rated is in the pure localities, I.E. the Liberian Costa Ricans, some of the local specific B.C.C., the El Salvadoran Bloods " not the out crossed add the gene to everything ones"
    Most over rated is the multi morph, try to cram 6 visuals into one animal, I am a bit different and see the beauty in the way nature made them, this is not to say I diss like morphs I just rather see them where they come from I.E. pure Sonoran Leopard VS Colombian line hypo X Sonoran Leopard hypo leopard, or a Kahl albino X El Salvador blood, bloody albino.
    There are a number of true locals with multiple morphs that both can be achieved like the Sonoran hypo + Sonoran Leopard V.S. using other strains of hypo.

My wife, daughter and soninlaw have other plans and views as they all deal with morphs, Mary hopes to make Jungle Novas, Rusty and Candi are working on a few things including trying to produce a hypo, jungle, arabesque, motley some day!? " More power to them" and the mix here keeps us as diverse as can be as well.

At times I feel outnumbered at home and else where LOL

I know a lot of people will disagree but that is fine it is the differing opinions and outlooks of our community that keep what we love varied and exciting!!

Post Thanks / Like

most underrated = pure line boa's , especially the dwarf Tarahumara and Island Boas like Caulker Cay , Hog Island , Crawl Cay .

I think the pure line boas will make a come back , once all the morphs get out of control and boas get too crossed.
    2.3 Hog Island Boas

12. Thanks Varanis thanked for this post
    Likes Varanis, MrGreenThumb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekpc007 View Post
    Nothing is more beautiful then the way nature makes them...
    Vaya con Dios,
    Buddy Young

14. Thanks tim mead, Varanis thanked for this post
    Likes Varanis liked this post

Thread Information