Facebook

» Online Users: 78

0 members and 78 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How young would you breed a female?

I'm wondering how young you would breed a female? I've got a 2011 female that I am super excited to breed but I'm trying to calm myself down and if I have to wait a little longer to breed her then so be it. I can wait longer if it means it's safer for her. Anyway, I'm just curious so I can figure out how quickly I need to pick up a male for her.
    www.everythingboa.com

Post Thanks / Like

You know the answer to your dilemma, you just want someone to tell you it's okay to do what you know you shouldn't. It's like asking mom when dad said no. Right?

Personally, 3.5 years is probably the minimum age which means you're looking at skipping this coming season and waiting until the winter of 2014/2015. But, you might need to wait even longer because mature muscle mass/physique and a slowed (mostly stopped) rate of linear growth is most important - and that could take an additional 2-3 years.

jb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
    You know the answer to your dilemma, you just want someone to tell you it's okay to do what you know you shouldn't. It's like asking mom when dad said no. Right?

jb
    Lol ya basically. I just didn't know if that was what was recommended by most people or just a few places I've found that particular age listed cause I've heard different amounts for age on males and females. I read somewhere that you could breed a female at 1.5 years old but that just seemed young. I know how big they are at that age and imagining that little thing holding babies inside seems wrong. I have another female now that is right around 3 years old and she definitely looks big enough to breed but I don't really have plans to ever breed her. She's just my nice albeit short tempered pet.
    www.everythingboa.com

4. Likes Bayou Exotics liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It would depend on the sub species of boa. Generally for imperators i would agree with jb and say 3.5yrs+ or around 4ft+ depending on the locality. some imperators can be mature at smaller sizes but only sonoran/tarahumaras, crawl cayes etc. I bred my costa rican female when she was 5yrs old and the male was 3yrs. healthy litter of 19 babies 3 slugs.
    if she's a 2011 i wuould certainly wait till 2015. and maybe start looking for a male now that will be mature enough to breed by then.

For a Redtail bcc i would say 4-5yr+ as they take longer to mature then imperators.

Post Thanks / Like

A 2013 male would be breedable by the time she would be?
    www.everythingboa.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah mate i'd start looking for a 2012 or 2013 male for your future plans. goodluck!

Post Thanks / Like

i have never bred a female before they were four...males usually two or three.
    Rick Moss

Post Thanks / Like

HAHA i think we all get very eager when it coming to pairing up. I can't wait!!! My 2 ball python females are around 1100 grams right now and everyone tells me just pair them up already but i'm gonna wait till next season. I'd like to see them at 1500 gram minimum just to be safe. As for my boas, that's a long wait. My females a very small 2011, so i'm going to wait at lease another 3-4 years before even thinking about it. I'd rather have a healthy litter than a small litter with a bunch of slugs and small snakes. Be patient, it will pay off in the end!

10. Thanks Boaz thanked for this post
    Likes snakedoktor, Boaz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya, I'll just wait. I've got a few other things I can do for breedings this season. It's just amazing at how much she has grown since I got her in october. Already eating medium rats and honestly if her growth rate keeps up like this she will need large rats in no time.
    www.everythingboa.com

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity, how often are you feeding her?

13. Likes Boaz liked this post

Thread Information