Facebook

» Online Users: 44

0 members and 44 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default getting out of snakes. Why???

I've been seeing a lot of ads of people selling their whole collections saying they're getting out of boas,ball pythons, snakes. Why is this??? I don't understand... I buy and keep reptiles because it is and always has been a passion. I don't understand why so many people are getting out of the hobby. This thread is in no way directed to Ali(What ever reason you're getting out in sure it must be a serious manner and none of my business). I'm just curious why so many people are getting rid of their collections. Why is it??

2. Likes REDTAIL KEEPER liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

People change there minds so much they don't stick with one thing long.For every person getting out theres a new person getting in.They think the grass is greener on the other side till find out its brown.LOL.Kinda funny how some buy tons of animals in there first year then you see selling out sale.People crazy man.LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like you'll see people that say that but they keep posting animals for sale for years. Think its their excuse for dropping the price lower than what it should be. If anyone gives them s**t for such low prices "I'm getting out of reptiles and just need to move them out"
    Brad Travers

Broussard, LA with my wife Kayla and our "zoo". LOL
    Post Thanks / Like

I think most of the people that jump out with both feet, jumped in with both feet.
    Some people think they can pour a lot of money into some breeding projects and get rich or something, IDK.

IMO, the people/breeders making a living or big money have been in the industry for some time, maybe a decade or longer.

I can't see myself just not having snakes in the future. I do plan to slim down a good bit and not pair up as many in the future. I'm leaning more and more towards natural enclosures and keeping a smaller group of animals that I think of and treat more like pets.

Broussard, LA with my wife Kayla and our "zoo". LOL
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surfinball View Post
    Seems like you'll see people that say that but they keep posting animals for sale for years. Think its their excuse for dropping the price lower than what it should be. If anyone gives them s**t for such low prices "I'm getting out of reptiles and just need to move them out"
    Yeah, Bill Gaines has been getting out of the industry for like 3 years. He always has babies for sale though. LOL

Snow Man lives on!

Post Thanks / Like

Who knows.. different things happen in different peoples lives.. I don't blame people for doing what they have to do. The real reptile geeks end up back in reptiles and it turns out to be little more than a break to regroup..

Myself I have had snakes as long as I can remember and then some that I can't remember so well.. I wouldn't know what to do without my snakes...LOL...
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

Check my available snakes at this link:
    http://www.reptileinsider.com/classi...panamared.html

I rejoined facebook... I don't feel good about it...

[/I]

8. Likes reptileman2929 liked this post
    Dislikes Jefrow disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surfinball View Post
    That makes sense but I've seen quite a few ads are people are getting rid of their whole collection as well as cages and all their other stuff. I just figured they were trying to make a quick buck. One of my friends surprised me the other day when he was telling me how his big collection is just too much work and he didn't seem happy. When I asked what is it that made him get into snakes He said when he seen the prices at the reptile show it seemed like good money lol you've definitely gotta have a passion for them IMO. I can't see myself ever getting out of keeping reptiles. I will always have snakes and lizards. It's almost a therapy, relaxing beautiful something to take the mind of all the other bs.

10. Likes Bayou Exotics, Gio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's an interesting question. I'm sure there are many reasons. A new job and a move could make ownership illegal in some cases. Having an injury or a drastic change in a family situation could harbor an exodus from reptiles.

There are acceptable reasons for sure.

IMO and this is only my opinion, if you take on a living pet and decide "I just don't like this", and dump it, I have a bit of an issue with it. Either research the "front end" to the extent you know exactly what you are getting into, or don't get into it.

Having been involved with protection dog training and trialing for years, I've seen people watch a dog trial, buy a dog suddenly think they are a trainer and breeder, go off the deep end and bail out on everything in a year.

I seriously find enjoyment and relaxation in our snakes. I'm also smart enough to know I can't be a breeder, and I can't house multiple animals and I have a responsibility to the ones we have.

Anything that makes me pay less attention or give less care to what I have now is the "one too many" that I knew up front I shouldn't have.

Total rant LOL!

I'm sure those that "get out" and are passionate have some heart wrenching choices to make.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I'm sure most have great reasons behind it as you've mentioned. I know Ali is having a tough time getting rid of that smoking Suriname! That would be one tough thing to do! I can't get tired of looking at that boa, just gorgeous!!! I have one boa I know I just would not part with. My girlfriend didn't seem too happy when I told her that. Once I explained my passion towards them she had peace with it and I was even able to get her to hold it!!!! Now she asks, "can I hold strawberry" hehe

13. Likes Bayou Exotics, Gio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpdRT View Post
    Oh I'm sure most have great reasons behind it as you've mentioned. I know Ali is having a tough time getting rid of that smoking Suriname! That would be one tough thing to do! I can't get tired of looking at that boa, just gorgeous!!! I have one boa I know I just would not part with. My girlfriend didn't seem too happy when I told her that. Once I explained my passion towards them she had peace with it and I was even able to get her to hold it!!!! Now she asks, "can I hold strawberry" hehe
    Whatever is in your avatar is just beautiful! Looks like the one not to part with LOL!

Thread Information