Facebook

» Online Users: 65

1 members and 64 guests
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Occupant for a Pro-line cage

Hi all,

I need to get this girl (and her male friend) some permanent adult cages soon. I started a thread on this in caging, and they'll be getting Pro lines PLM 60x26x16. Right now she's in a Boaphile 421D.

She's a 2011 Eastern Indigo I was lucky to find in-state last March. She's phenomenal in every way; simply stunning to look at, extremely mild-mannered and polite, and a beast. I also picked up a male, which required a permit because he's from California. Also a 2011, he's a bit smaller than she is, but bolder and more assertive.

These are my first Eastern Indigos, and I'm having a blast with them. They are nowhere near as bad to upkeep as I had heard, requiring some spot cleaning weekly. I feed them mice, chicks, and/or fish typically weekly, with a typical feeding being 2-3 f/t items placed a plate in their enclosure.

I keep them on an aspen/mulch mixture, with a hide, a humid hide box (a rubbermaid container with moist sphaghnum moss), lots of fresh water, and use a RHP to warm their enclosures. For them, I keep their warm side at 80-82, and let the cool side get to the low 70's. I do a night drop down to 75 on the warm side, and whatever the cool side gets down to.

I can't wait to get them in permanent enclosures, and after much research those will be black Pro-lines with Pro product RHPs. I tried a PVC boamaster (which the male is currently in) but don't think it will be a good choice as a "lifetime" cage.

Personally, these are my favorite snakes. I do love GTPs and Tarahumara boas, but they simply can't match these two. I'm looking forward to watching them get even bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Those are some really cool snakes... It is very nice to see someone look into the animals best interest and its future.

Keep the pics coming...

3. Thanks antiquity thanked for this post
    Likes Gio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very beautiful animals. Thanks for sharing and best of luck with them.

5. Likes Gio, reptileman2929 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting. Are those known as snake eaters like kings? What a unique animal/animals you've got there. I'd say a Pro-Line will do them well. I'd like to hear more about them too.

Post Thanks / Like

They are neat looking.thats a lot of cage for a 5-6ft snake with not much girth?I don't know much about them but id guess they move a lot more then most, so is that why you want the space?Wouldn't a 4ft cage with the height to have perches and or shelf be good enough?

8. Thanks antiquity thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gottabsleeved View Post
    They are neat looking.thats a lot of cage for a 5-6ft snake with not much girth?I don't know much about them but id guess they move a lot more then most, so is that why you want the space?Wouldn't a 4ft cage with the height to have perches and or shelf be good enough?
    These snakes require larger enclosures than most. They are very active during the day (they are diurnal) and some keepers even say a 6x2 is the minimum size you should keep them in. Ed's PLM 60x26x16 is a perfect compromise in size; almost as much space as a 6x2, made of non-porous, recycled material, and reasonably priced. The 4x2 cage is already kind of cramped for the female because of her activity level, and I expect she'll grow another 2 feet or so over the next few years.

Some more info:
    These snakes are native to North America and endangered, so they require a permit to cross state lines. The permit is $100 and takes a couple of months to be processed. There are also in-breeding issues because of the static breeding base, so you want to watch for tail kinks and scale patterns that are thought to be indicative of in-breeding.

Males are typically larger than females, although no one told my male that. He is probably 4 feet, while she is 4.5 or so with more girth. They are only 2 years old, so they grow pretty fast. They should reach 6-7 feet as adults. They are bold and inquisitive, yet completely non-aggressive. Supposedly, even in the wild they do not bite, but will only try to flee. They are very aware of their surroundings, and when I am in the snake room they come to the glass and watch me. It's a neat experience to handle them.

They are not constrictors, and over power their prey with strong jaws. They prefer a variety of foods, although many use only rodents. I have fed them mice, chicks, fish, and chicken necks. They each have their favorites. Their jaws don't distend to the extent of boas, etc...., so they have relatively smaller food items more frequently.

The rap against them is they have a high metabolism and poop constantly. Kind of true. They poop probably once a week or slightly more, and it's more bird-like in consistency than a boa. Smells, too, but spot cleaning isn't bad. To me, it's certainly not a deal-breaker.

They are pricey, with babies going for $1K. They only lay 5-7 eggs. I do have a breeding pair, but won't try until 2016.

Here's a couple more of the female:

Thanks for the interest. I'll post some pics of the male on this thread later today.
    Last edited by antiquity; 12-22-2013 at 09:57 AM.

10. Thanks kid007inplay, Gio, reptileman2929 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at the under belly on the beauty. Simply marvelous! And you will not be disappointed with you Pro Lines. I have two 5 stacks from while back, great stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

No thank you,interesting read as I mostly just know about and have had boas and pythons over the years.They look and sound like a smart snake,brian sharp keeps colubrids and sayed there a very smart active snake.Mr sharp is about 75miles from me.great guy if you ever have the chance to deal with him.

13. Likes reptileman2929 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You done went and got me excited to raise one of these amazing creatures.LOL.I hate to wait,but waiting makes all that much better when you do get something you want.I took my girl and her grand son to a reptile petting zoo last summer,and everybody left me behind when I saw a huge cobra moving in its huge display.Very amazing to watch and the way they move and look around you can sense there intelligent.Love to have a snake that would crawl right out in my hands everytime.Some boas will do it once they get used to you.But not everytime and with confidence.

Post Thanks / Like

16. Likes reptileman2929, kid007inplay, Gio liked this post

Thread Information