Facebook

» Online Users: 65

1 members and 64 guests
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Eastern Indigo in the house!

Oh yea, took a road trip today and picked up my new pet!Hes a 2013 got him from a new colubrid breeder here in Virginia (Jason Ayers)so I didn't even have to mess with the USFW interstate commerce permit since were both in same state.i got a good deal to.Im pumped about raising a eastern!Hes a semi red throat not super red but red.Photo is from the seller,its all I got!.....now im happy and done buying,focus on my breeding of the surinames I have and 1 other different snake to enjoy.And different they are, Jason feed some adults today and they come out of the cage for there food.These aren't ball pythons

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, that's a very cool snake! Wish I had one!

3. Thanks gottabsleeved thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Badass man... everyone should have one in there Collection.

5. Thanks gottabsleeved thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    Congrats, that's a very cool snake! Wish I had one!
    Theres a few breeders in cali !Id guess only about 15 breeders in the united states that's realy out there being serious to breed these.There not like boas or pythons,but cali has more breeders then any state.Problem is find good strong specimens that are genetically diverse,they been federal protected since the 70s so new blood for captivity just isn't there.Inbreeding has become a issue and shows.They roam such big areas in the wild as there always hungry,so inbreeding in the wild just isn't in there DNA.Well we started it for them.,Its a pet for me so im not fixed on the inbreed genetics as long as its healthy.
    Last edited by gottabsleeved; 04-30-2014 at 09:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Being the good snake forum guy I am,ill tell anybody that's interested in these that I believe the most focused guy on producing easterns that are as genetically diverse as possible is a guy named Alan Brutosky in New jersey.If I was breeding these id for sure buy atlease one of the animals from alan to get a good chance at mixing the genes.Mines a pet and I got a good deal in my state.Time-space only lets me do a little suriname breeding and my suri is here to stay.

8. Likes kid007inplay, Bayou Exotics liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome pick up. Love those eastern indigos. Super cool snakes for sure.
    Brian Burrell

10. Thanks gottabsleeved thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jefrow View Post
    Awesome pick up. Love those eastern indigos. Super cool snakes for sure.
    Yea hes fricken cool,my first time having a colubrid, or even been close or held a indigo and im digging him.Had him out a while ago,amazing little creature,move and act so much different then boas.Hes daddys boy and wont be leaving.Youngster just don't know he found the best home he could had ever found.I can see all ready there not a snake that you can take your eye off of for a second when outside or he will gone like lighting.LOL.Bad ass animal, couldnt had spent my money better.

12. Likes kid007inplay, Bayou Exotics, Jefrow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Super cool. Mine were nearly 2 years old when I got them, so they both had some size already.

I agree that finding a good breeder working with as diverse as possible stock is key. Alan B. you named is good. Steve Binnig from Philly area and John Michels from Cali, Steve Fuller from Conn. They say to look at the scales on the tail. Split scales on the tail are thought to indicate a lack of genetic diversity.

Love to see some updates of him. Now that it's summer and I have some time, I'll get some new pics up of my two.

Post Thanks / Like

My easterns blood is binning X bruce,mine has a few weird scales,not bad but few are split.but I got a good deal and hes healthy doing great and im not breeding him at all for sure.Hes a pet!From my research, I think alan B works with the best breeder quailty easterns in the US and steve fuller is second.Breeding suri is all I got time for,and one adult eastern is all I think my little house can take cause they stink.My little snake room is right next to my front door and living room.I like snakes but don't want to smell them unless I open there door.LOL.heres how that would go.........15 adult suri.......a 15 baby suri litter........2 adult easterns..........a 7 litter baby easterns and me looking in want adds for a place to live cause my girl wouldn't deal with the smell.LOL

Broussard, LA with my wife Kayla and our "zoo". LOL
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Skip!
    I have a couple friends in town that have them. Males. The breeders don't let females go cheap if at all.
    One thing that jumped out at me about them is how big their tongues are. I guess a snake with a big tongue is more of a hunter than an ambusher.?

16. Thanks gottabsleeved thanked for this post

Thread Information