Facebook

» Online Users: 72

0 members and 72 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

He took it!feed him a regular piece of bonless-skinless fish about big as your pinky finger,.He smelled it and started to eat.Amazing to me that they will eat people food.Not feeding fish much and I think the skin bones are better for him,small whole fish are best.But every now and then when I have fish I give a raw piece to my Indigo.Wonder if he will eat steak?.Try that next cook out!lol

2. Likes reptileman2929 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gottabsleeved View Post
    He took it!feed him a regular piece of bonless-skinless fish about big as your pinky finger,.He smelled it and started to eat.Amazing to me that they will eat people food.Not feeding fish much and I think the skin bones are better for him,small whole fish are best.But every now and then when I have fish I give a raw piece to my Indigo.Wonder if he will eat steak?.Try that next cook out!lol

Skip... that is awesome!!! Sounds like he would eat just about anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gottabsleeved View Post
    That is cool, have you thought about feeder comet goldfish? You could place one or two in a shallow water dish and let him fish for dinner.....give an indigo a fish...feed him for a day....teach an indigo to fish....feed him for a lifetime Lol....
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

5. Likes reptileman2929 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Be careful of the comet goldfish. I used to keep a garter snake that LOVED fish, and I was warned that feeder goldfish you get at pet stores are often riddled with parasites. I was advised to feed guppies instead, but I'm sure they would be far too small for the Indigo. Anyway, for what it's worth...

RR_20 (Mike)

7. Likes reptileman2929 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Runner_20 View Post
    Be careful of the comet goldfish. I used to keep a garter snake that LOVED fish, and I was warned that feeder goldfish you get at pet stores are often riddled with parasites. I was advised to feed guppies instead, but I'm sure they would be far too small for the Indigo. Anyway, for what it's worth...

RR_20 (Mike)
    Great point....just read the following on a garter snake thread.

"Certain kinds of live fish can pose additional risks. Goldfish should be avoided at all costs; it’s essentially a junk fish with poor nutritive value. And other species of fish contain an enzyme called thiaminase, which destroys vitamin B1 (thiamin) and gives your snake a potentially fatal vitamin deficiency (see Vitamin B1 Deficiency).

As a result, I do not recommend using live fish unless the snake will not eat anything else, and I recommend against purchasing garter snakes that will only eat live fish if you can.

Pro: Some garters will ignore other food but eat live fish. Most garters will eat fish. Fish fillet is relatively inexpensive.

Con: Live fish frequently carry parasites. Some fish carry an enzyme that leads to a serious vitamin deficiency. Goldfish are not good for garter snakes. Live fish are expensive in quantities sufficient to feed a garter snake. Not every garter snake will accept fish fillet. Fish fillet is nutritionally deficient without supplementation. Results in watery, smelly feces.

Frozen whole fish do not present the same problems with parasites (if frozen for more than 30 days), but freezing does not destroy thiaminase. Fish fillet is very convenient, because it can be bought frozen at the supermarket, but it’s not complete nutrition. A garter that lives on strips of fish fillet misses out on the nutrients found in whole fish, so periodic calcium and vitamin supplementation will be necessary. Fish fillet can be safe to use (ocean perch, for example, is known not to contain thiaminase) but it should not be the only item in the snake’s diet. It’s fine in combination with worms or mice."
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

9. Thanks gottabsleeved thanked for this post
    Likes reptileman2929 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's what I was told, but I had forgotten the thiaminase part. Supposedly, guppies don't have the parasite or thiaminase issues, and that seemed to be the case because our little Mountain garter lived a long and happy life. That little booger wouldn't eat ANYTHING but live fish! We tried everything else supposedly on the diet of a garter to no avail. So as much as I enjoyed him, no more fish/frog/lizard, etc eaters for me!

RR_20 (Mike)

11. Likes gottabsleeved liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

dam im impressed!You guys do your homework.So do I,i know about thiaminase.Heres a list of safe fish to feed snakes!http://www.gartersnake.info/articles...php..........I feed him 2 little platies there like guppies.I got them at walmart,I froze them for a few days.I have heard about the 30days.Fish is going to be a treat once a month.Mice and quail are the main.I can get feeder lizards......http://www.lllreptile.com/store/cata.../..........but im soft hearted and don't want to freeze a whole box of them.LOL...And there expencive compared to just buying mice and baby quail along with the boa food.But I hear indigos love lizards and snakes.But I think indigos love anything they can fit in there mouth that smells like meat.

Thread Information