Facebook

» Online Users: 65

1 members and 64 guests
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Eastern Indigo, Possibly my next addition.... ???

So i went to the Super Show at the Pomona fairplex yesterday and found my self stuck at Robert Bruces booth for about half an hour. I've always liked these but they've always been too expensive for me. Now that i've dipped into the price range for these guys I had to stop and ask questions. Robert was very informative, not pushy like a lot of breeders. So many breeders are pushy and get upset if you don't buy their animal, they don't make it a positive experience especially for newbies to the hobby. Robert Bruce is not one of those breeders, he's a great guy, really enjoyed speaking to him. He answered every question i had and prepped me for owning an Eastern Indigo.
    The #1 thing i focused on in our conversation was the importance of their heat source. Low hot spot 80 degrees and low ambient air of 75 degrees. He told me they are very sensitive to heat and should not be exposed to heat higher than 85 degrees for long periods of time. He also made sure i knew about the importance of size of their prey items. He recommended a diet of mice and rats.
    I fell in love with one of the 2 year old indigos he had there. But i didn't jump into it. As most of you know i lost my most prized Belem and WILL NOT allow that to happen again. I'm getting married this year, i'll be moving in with my girl to her apartment for a short time while we look for a house. So i figured this would not be the best time since there would be lots of moving around. I'm going to wait till i get settled in a house, get a nice cage that EASY TO CLEAN, i heard they're pretty detailed and artistic with their poop(My fiance was not happy about this part but she'll come around!) Once i get a nice cage dialed in to the proper temps i'll pull the trigger and pickup one of these outstanding animals.
    I think i like the look of the pure black Eastern Indigo over the red throat. Red Throats are killer but i think the pure black is just amazing. Here's the little guy that i fell in love with. Robert told me they form a bond with their owners and it's a much more personal relationship with the animal other than any other snake. He was sure to tell me about their aggression during feeding time. This kind of worried me for a bit, he recommended i start out with a baby, something small so i can get used to their body movements so i can avoid being tagged. I found this to be a very awesome experience and am truly stoked to the day i visit Robert and take home one of these fine creatures.
    BOY THIS IS AN EXPENSIVE HOBBY!!!! HAHAHA Well worth it thought
    Attachment 5515Attachment 5516

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad you didn't impulse buy but I know you have not stopped thinking about that animal lol... They are on my list as well and I am with you on the solid black animals. Best wishes to you and your better half on your upcoming marriage and house hunting.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

3. Likes reptileman2929 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There movement and feeding response is nothing like a boa,they will bite.Once out,, and theres no food smell there puppys, but to house a adult you need sliding cage doors.Once they get size they get bold and will fly out of the cage looking for food.Mine is still little and will come right at me when I open the door,they really don't plan there strike like a boa, mine just bites and dives at any thing.LOL.He missed the fish the other day and got my finger and wasn't letting go.I had to take the other hand and grab him (lightly) then he let go.If he would had been 6ft plus I would had been hurtin bad,they have very strong jaws.If you keep him in the boa room where its warm,what I do is I got the indigo cage in a bottom cage by the AC vent,vent is closed but its the coolest spot in the room.Im sure ill hate bending down there to clean everyweek when hes bigger.But he needs cooler temps then the boas.His temps change from day to night from 77-83 and he has a hide with a hot spot of 85ish,and never once seen him on heat but he seems happy with the cage temps.I have read where some keep them in room temps of like low 70s with no hot spot and they thrive.I already got mine in his life cage a 6x28x15 vision #600,I installed a shelf in there and that's where he stays.Good you don't want a red cause there even more inbreed then the blacks.The most diverse eastern for breeding or for good resale value buy from Alan B. in new jersey.But buying local with out the federal permit is much easier.Adults need big cages and need lots of feeding and cleaning with FRESH water always as they drink daily.,its work to raise them properly.I find that rodent hair is a issue for them.So to feed mostly just rodents isn't good for them.They need mostly quail,lizards,snakes,frogs,fish with only rodents now and then.So they cost more to feed.Fish with thiaminase is bad,you got to be all in to raise them.But there fun and like nothing I have owned.Males can reach 8ft..............Look for bad scales or kinked tails,its a sign of being to inbreed,the parent pairing was a bad pairing...this is very bad but some just have a few split scales.
    Last edited by gottabsleeved; 08-10-2014 at 10:49 PM.

5. Likes reptileman2929, kid007inplay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert Bruces sounds like a great guy. We need more breeders like him in this hobby.
    Eastern Indigo is such an awesome specie. Something about jet black animal, makes it much more impressive. Best of luck with all of your future plans.

7. Likes reptileman2929 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kid007inplay View Post
    Robert Bruces sounds like a great guy. We need more breeders like him in this hobby.
    Eastern Indigo is such an awesome specie. Something about jet black animal, makes it much more impressive. Best of luck with all of your future plans.
    You can drive right to Alan Brutoskys house and buy the most diverse blood indigo in the country,No permit,no shipping.Theres a lot of people that wish they could do that.Alan is the man whos trying to clean up the inbreed eastern problem.Want his email?They hatch now and most get them going and there for sale in fall.Buy from alan,You wont find a stronger eastern!http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre.../#.U-l2DY0g-id
    Last edited by gottabsleeved; 08-11-2014 at 11:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

No other snakes will take bites of meat like a indigo.Heres one eating a shark head.https://www.flickr.com/photos/audrey...st/2314268647/............I tried mine on salt free boars head turkey,he didn't take it.Id bet if went on trying with raw steak or hot dogs I could get him eating most anything.But bones,organs,skin are good any way.But I do now and then feed him a piece of fish when we have fish.Amazing how how he just grabs and swallows,feed him a toad last week he ate it while still alive,shoot out the hide like a missile and just gobbled it down real fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow they sure do seem like allot of fun to feed!!! =) Alan is in new jersey? Those indigos you posted pics of are huge! The adults I seen were much smaller. Are males or females bigger? That big one could do some damage if it were to bite you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpdRT View Post
    Wow they sure do seem like allot of fun to feed!!! =) Alan is in new jersey? Those indigos you posted pics of are huge! The adults I seen were much smaller. Are males or females bigger? That big one could do some damage if it were to bite you
    Yes alan is in new jersey!But aren't you in cali?Cali has the most eastern breeders in one place,the rest of the breeders are all strung out.For just a pet? local is so much easier.For breeders id buy from alan 1st, steve fuller 2nd.Males get a foot or so bigger then females.There feeding response is wild if you never been around them,on feeding day they come out fast toward you.But even a adult if your used to them you can feed them while hanging out the cage.They don't sit and wait like a boa or python.But im with you this hand feeding I see people doing isn't happen here.I heard that a adult bite is very painfull,figure there strong jaws are all they got to survive.Im new to them and don't plan to breed or buy another one,but the one I got has found his home.There pretty bad a$$ and as a snake person I feel its a lucky experience to raise one.But they do stink,I read where if you walk in to a room you can tell theres one in there.LOL.Im using corrugated liner from uline now in the 6ft cage,so the little guy has something to get some traction.But once his about 4ft or so ill go to newspaper so I can spot clean easy and fast to keep smell and bacteria down.But even with good spot cleanings, I still could see a adult needing a full cleaning including glass about every 2weeks.LOL.They drink a lot so they pee a lot,every pee has a lose poop with it.About every 2-3 days.But im hoping once hes on older quail and weaned rodents that maybe it will be a little more solid.He he

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I sure am glad I didn't impulse buy. This is no boa! Allot to take in. Hm....... sure as heck can't do it right now. Getting married in 4 months. Then next will be looking for a house. I'm gonna hold of till i get settled in. But then I'm planning on having a baby so ehhhhh when will I ever get caught up! Haha

13. Likes gottabsleeved liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpdRT View Post
    Wow I sure am glad I didn't impulse buy. This is no boa! Allot to take in. Hm....... sure as heck can't do it right now. Getting married in 4 months. Then next will be looking for a house. I'm gonna hold of till i get settled in. But then I'm planning on having a baby so ehhhhh when will I ever get caught up! Haha
    Ha ha you do sound like a busy man!This time next year maybe?If a baby comes great but ya still got to live and have your own hobby.Like bruce sayed raise a baby indigo is best,then you both will grow to learn each other before you got a 6ft plus eating-pooping machine.LOL

Thread Information