Facebook

» Online Users: 65

1 members and 64 guests
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default new snake suggestions!?!?

Hey everybody! Hope everybody had a great year and happy new year! Well.... the reptile super show is next weekend and I just moved into my new house. Looking to get a snake for my front room and not keep in my snake room. What kind of snake can withstand cool Temps and is pretty hardy? Looking for something with a lot of color as it will be a display tank. I was thinking something along the lines of a milk snake or something. Any suggestions? Something low maintenence that can withstand the cooler Temps? I have a 40 gallon terrarium I'd like to use of that would be suitable. Oh also, something that doesn't musk like a king snake.

Post Thanks / Like

#1 Diamond python!!! But get a cage from Ed with a background!!

#2,,,Or a nice Eastern King.

I like #1 more though.

Edit: I just thought about a BCO. Argentine boas can deal with some lower temps too.
    Last edited by Gio; 01-01-2015 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess im no help,being I only know boas.Because 26 years ago they interested me so much I bought one then and been keeping them ever since,never even had a morph always locality boas,with the exception of a retic and burm that I had for a short time when I was young.My indigo now is my real only first other snake.Just felt the need to share this with ya.LOL

4. Thanks Gio thanked for this post
    Likes Gio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gottabsleeved View Post
    I guess im no help,being I only know boas.Because 26 years ago they interested me so much I bought one then and been keeping them ever since,never even had a morph always locality boas,with the exception of a retic and burm that I had for a short time when I was young.My indigo now is my real only first other snake.Just felt the need to share this with ya.LOL
    Man, that says a lot if you had a retic and a burm and still go with boas!

BCO here IMO. I think for cooler conditions they fit the bill. Diamond pythons may have a bit more finicky husbandry requirements when it's all said and done.

My guess is boas will rule here for opinions and an Argentine locality will be a special boa for cool conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Diamond python? Is that a type of carpet or jungle???
    Argentine would be nice but I guess I'm looking for something that stays on the small side. Any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Diamonds are in the Morelia group with carpets. They are not that small, although will end up smaller than a female BCO.

Anything from the carpet group will be a great display snake IMO.

I'm sure there are some other ideas. How cool are the temps you are talking about?

Maybe a diurnal snake would be best in this situation.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a small (3-4 feet) beautiful boa constrictor, how about a Tarahumara? Like the Argentines, these
    are also more cold tolerant than the tropical boas and have a similar dark coloration.

9. Likes Gio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

By being able to withstand cold Temps I'm talking low 60s at night. Of course a heat lamp and UTH would help to raise that a bit.
    What's a diurnal snake?

11. Dislikes gottabsleeved disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You keep your house in the low 60s?wow that's cold.I keep mine in the high 60s and still have long sleeves on,and like walking in the snake room to warm up now and then.LOL....Its 80f in there in center away from walls,I hate cold!House At low 60s id have to sleep in the snake room.My eastern indigo isn't colorfull but likes cool temps.But even females get 6ft,males7ft,but thin,but need space to move.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpdRT View Post
    By being able to withstand cold Temps I'm talking low 60s at night. Of course a heat lamp and UTH would help to raise that a bit.
    What's a diurnal snake?
    Diurnal, means they are active during daylight hours VS nocturnal. My thought process here is that if the cage is in a room that is bright, and used frequently a nocturnal snake may stress a bit.

I have seen some really neat eastern king snakes that can get fairly large they handle daylight hours well and are obviously accustomed to the North American climate.

I don't think they musk once they are settled in.

Thread Information