Facebook

» Online Users: 83

0 members and 83 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just got back from the vet

Well I went to the vet today for the first time, I was quite happy with the vet and the staff i wish I wasn't there at all though.So my new Female Suriname had been developing a nose a rub, I didn't think much of it figured she would relax and stop rubbing and problem solved but no.She kept rubbing her nose non stop, then I saw she had a mouth full of bedding about a week ago.I immediately put her on corrugated wrap and cleaned her mouth out.While cleaning her mouth I noticed she had an open wound an the tip of her nose from rubbing,I cleaned that out as well and proceeded to clean her nose wound daily.A few days ago as I was cleaning her nose I noticed some clear liquid come out of her mouth.I knew right then it was mouth rot so I took her to the vet and was completely right I thankfully got her to the vet while she was in the early stages of mouth rot.I have her on meds daily now I shall keep everyone updated as I'm very worried about her.This is the first time I've gone to the vet since I started keeping snakes 10 years ago.
    Jeremiah Elleman

Post Thanks / Like

Dang sorry to hear this. You're a good keeper you spotted it and had the knowledge to identify the problem and took action. Wishing the best for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear. Hope she makes a quick recovery.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear this!It sucks when our animals are down!Use cages for adults if possible!Keep using Corrugated and keep things extra clean with a extra clean full water bowl.Raising temps kicks there immune system in to overdrive!About 84 cool end and 91 warm.Keep tub/cage at waist level away from the cold floor.No spraying her cause it makes them cold but keep humidity perfect at 50-60%..You know,but thought id just add what id do!Dont try breeding this year.Id wait a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, and don't worry I already bumped her temps and definitely had no intention of breeding after this, she didn't make it through quarantine.Now let me state this in no way reflects the breeder I got her from.This was my fault I should have paid more attention, but her temps and such were fine so I thought nothing of it.I noticed she doesn't try and nose rub and stuff on the corrugated wrap.I think she just doesn't like the the loose substrates.Thankfully she still hasn't refused to eat once so shes not doing to bad.I'm still worried but not confident of she'll have a full recovery.Very early stages thankfully, opened her mouth and didn't find much a couple pieces of yellow gunk about the size of the head of pin.I actually stalled my breeding projects all together til next year.I have one female already gravid due around May 19th that is going to be my only litter this year.All the pending bans in Nevada don't help that either.
    Jeremiah Elleman

Post Thanks / Like

My bad typo I meant I'm confident she will make a full recovery!Gave her some more medicine today, also when i took her to the vet and weighed her she was 30lbs(also my arm was in there a little shes not nice)!She's small compared to my 8ft girl, so she must be like 40lbs plus!They grow so fast haha.
    Jeremiah Elleman

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, id be very very shocked if the breeder sold her with out thinking she was 100% first. Must had just been a infection and the shipping stress and new home that made it take over her system,she was also on paper towels her whole life.Im sure she will be fine with you on top of it,but id still wait to breed thou,breeding is a risk so always give them the best possible start at it..

Post Thanks / Like

Little update if anyone is interested, I've been given her medicine for a little over a week and she's doing quite well.No more mucus in the mouth or yellow build up.I think the mouth rot is just about cleared up mainly cause I caught it and took her to the vet immediately.The nose rub is still a little swollen but nothing serious, and she's still eating like a champ.Here's a picture of her in a holding tub while I checked her mouth for buildup, changed her water etc.Gotta love that tail and she has real nice red coloration throughout her body.

A head shot to show the still recovering nose rub.She's so upset :c

I still feel extremely guilty and quite horrible about this.Seems like karma for how confident I was everything would be fine.I'm happy I kept her in quarantine as suggested.
    Jeremiah Elleman

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about this the other day,thanks for the update.It wasn't your falt.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah shit happens no doubt thanks man, I've never had a snake do so bad on loose substrates.I switched about half my collection to the corrugated wrap again because of this.This girl is quite content with the corrugated paper.
    Jeremiah Elleman

Thread Information