Facebook

» Online Users: 88

0 members and 88 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jere000 View Post
    Yeah shit happens no doubt thanks man, I've never had a snake do so bad on loose substrates.I switched about half my collection to the corrugated wrap again because of this.This girl is quite content with the corrugated paper.
    Do you think it was due to a splinter in mouth that caused a infection?Most have zero problems with aspen, but I tried it and seen right away theres to much risk of it causing problems.Maybe in the wild there not on flat paper but there also not locked in a box in dust and splinters .We cant reproduce the wild so why not just make them as safe as we can in there captive homes.Hides can still be offered.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I usually hand sift through my aspen before I put it in the cages. I also feed my gals on plates so they don't eat aspen and of course watch them as they eat to make sure. Good to hear your guy is doing better. I know what its like to have a sick pet, my beardie somehow got RI so between the stress of her going to vet and me having to give her Baytril daily along with probiotics and everything, it was a stressful month or so for both of us.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah shit happens no doubt thanks man, I've never had a snake do so bad on loose substrates.I switched about half my collection to the corrugated wrap again because of this.This girl is quite content with the corrugated paper.
    If you have enough snakes over a long enough time span your going to have to deal with this kind of stuff. As far as substrate goes, and keeping my "enough snakes over a long enough time span" in mind, anything could happen. I had a boa try and eat a few pages of the newspaper, I caught her just before she got it down and it pulled out easily. I can't imagine that would have went well otherwise. I have had a ball python fine one day dead the next piece of aspen stuck in her glottis.. You can't watch them 24/7.
    Ed Lilley
    www.constrictorsnw.com

Check my available snakes at this link:
    http://www.reptileinsider.com/classi...panamared.html

I rejoined facebook... I don't feel good about it...

[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm thinking it was a splinter not 100%.I don't think she's ever been on a loose substrate, so when she was she tried burrowing.Not realizing it wasn't limitless she'd hit the bottom keep trying to burrow which would slightly open her mouth and she would push forward ended up with a mouth full of bedding i pulled out what i thought was all of it but I was indeed wrong.I noticed the substrate doesn't affect my bigger girls they compact it into a brick from their weight.I really wonder how they survive in the wild sometimes haha.It's funny you said that Ed I had a male Het leopard try to eat his shed skin after his rat.Luckily I saw it and managed to get it out haha
    Jeremiah Elleman

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job with the proactive approach, probably saved her life...you da man!
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man, I didn't and don't see any other choice in situations like this but to go to the vet.I gotta say it's because of the forums, I've seen hundreds of should I take my snake to the vet post.Usually the snake needs to see a vet and people say something about money or what not as an excuse so why even make the post haha!?!That's not right at all, if you chose to buy this animal you chose to buy whatever it needs to keep it healthy.So I'm not gonna sit around or ask if I should go to a vet when I know something is wrong, and I don't know how to fix it.
    Jeremiah Elleman

Post Thanks / Like

Yea taking action fast before there body gets drained helps them recover.I hate to see things suffer.Thats the problem with people today,they don't step up and take care of there business.There To lazy to put the work in!.......You got my respect!

Post Thanks / Like

****!!!!!I just can't win with this snake, I come home from work today, check in on her she rubbed her face raw again and it was healing so well!Thankfully no signs of mouth rot reappearing still.So next course of action get a bigger cage.I'm gonna call up boamaster see if I can get them to rush me 6'x3'x20" before this girl kills herself.As well as make another vet trip.
    Jeremiah Elleman

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, sry that sucks. I hope the big 6 ft cage does the trick for her, she's a good looking suri with a nice tail. Keep us updated.
    Jeff.

Post Thanks / Like

What you got her in now a 4fter?Im sure shes big, cause mike don't raise tiny boas.LOL......Does your cage have a space or sharp lip that shes rooting on?You raised temps right,are you sure shes has a 80F cool end atlease to escape the the heat?Bigger cages help I think,giving them more space to move and not get closterfobic from siting in a small box for life.goodluck.Feeding her would stop her for a few days!LOL

Thread Information