Facebook

» Online Users: 97

1 members and 96 guests
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This sucks! There has to be something environmental that is not agreeing with her. What size is the cage and are you 100% sure of the temperature gradient? It really sounds like she is trying to escape something or search something out.....meaning temps are way off or she could be smelling something that she is not liking or maybe something she wants to eat. Do you have any live feeder rodents nearby cats/dogs/birds/or possibly down filled pillows? Just some thoughts, may seem far fetched but I know Mike has a very clinical type set up and any strange odors might be affecting her to behave this way.
    Other things to consider would be smoking, chemical odors, vibrations from garage doors, heavy foot traffic, loud music or too much activity in the room. Too much light can make a snake nervous and try to "seek" darker secluded places. You might want to give Mike a shout and ask him if he has any ideas and also to find out more about how he kept this boa ie. Lighting, temps, humidity and the amount of disruption in the room.
    Sorry to make this so long but I know it is driving you nuts and we would all hate to see you lose this boa. There is a solution and more than likely it is a simple one that can be corrected immediately....make a check list of all the variables in her environment and cross them off one at a time when you are 100% sure they are not a factor.
    It might help if you listed the environment factors like cage size and temps etc, etc, someone might recognize an issue and help you correct it.....that's why this place is so awesome.
    Best of luck and let's figure this one out, the sooner the better.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

I keep her as well as my other big girls in christmas tree storage bins, they measure 52"x2'x2' I believe may be slightly smaller, she's not very big compared to my eight foot and seven foot females.The hotspot goes from 89-91 currently with an 79 ambient right now.She has 55% humidity, I do smoke in my house.....I will go through the factors of her environment.The new cage won't hurt either way so I'm still trying to get that haha.Mike told me to crumble up some newspaper and throw it in her cage to help her feel secure when i got her so I'm going to try that again now see if she's just insecure in her new environment still.I do keep her in the living room, but there's not very much traffic out there.Just my mom occasionally watching tv.
    Jeremiah Elleman

Post Thanks / Like

Do you keep the tubs in a rack? Do you use a lid on the tub?
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

I use lids, and her cage is just chilling on a piece of wood.When I pull her out of quarantine she would've went on a rack, but i plan having a cage for her before then hopefully.So she's curling up under the crumbled up newspaper right now, if this works I'm going to feel quite stupid for letting her get this far when it was such a simple solution....
    Jeremiah Elleman

Post Thanks / Like

You did say it was probably a simple solution Joel, it appears security may very well have been that simple solution.I can at least get some sleep now, when I come home from work if she still hasn't rubbed or anything I'll feel stupid, but be completely happy she's doing better.I do love this forum!
    Jeremiah Elleman

Post Thanks / Like

The reason that I asked is I used some sterilite tubs with lids on them and on the inside of the there was a lip the protruded into the tub about a half inch and a half inch before the bottom of the lid and this was an invataion for the boas to think there was a tighter spot for them to get into thus producing rubs on their noses, I eliminated the lid and solved the problem. Man I would buy every news paper in town and stuff that tub to the top lol.... I am assuming that the tub is translucent...if so try taping news paper around the outside of the tub to provide a little more seclusion. Also look into purchasing a decent temperature gun, this will allow you to be pretty confident on your temps.
    Hopefully the problem will be solved.... I know Mike uses vision cages for his big ones and even though they have a lot of glass in the front the are all opaque and cutting down the light might just do the trick.
    Don't feel stupid, you are doing the right things and are not afraid to seek help...that's smart!

Joel Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought about the little tuck where the lid is!Also I already have a temp gun, bought one years ago back when I was 15 I believe haha and had my first litter of boas.I use the crappy (as I say) stand up thermometers for ambient temps as they were meant and the temp gun for the hots spot.It's a reptile basics temp gun model 412L I think.It's always worked well but if it's known to be inaccurate let me know.
    Jeremiah Elleman

Post Thanks / Like

I think that gun is accurate +or- a degree, so should be great. Use the gun on several parts of the boas body when you check on her and that will tell you more about what is really going on.
    It is threads like this one that teach us all and may just save a few boas, I respect your actions and concern for your animal.
    For the record I am a fan of actual reptile manufactured cages as they allow for instant visual contact and much better control of environmental variables. Your decision to aquire one is a solid choice that you will not regret.

Joel Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Could be she didn't feel secure in a living room with people and TV!I know how mike keeps his setup.Its in his basement as a (snake room only)with no traffic other then him boa keeping.He keeps his room in the mid 80S and only offers UTH to his lower cages.He uses paper towels only as substrate with no hides.Neodesha and vision cages.No special lighting other then the small basement windows cycling for night and day.Cages are so much better for adults then big tubs!

Broussard, LA with my wife Kayla and our "zoo". LOL
    Post Thanks / Like

Feeding her to get her to sit and digest is what I was thinking also, but I saw the pics of her and she isn't underfed.
    IDK, hope she settles in for you.

Thread Information