Facebook

» Online Users: 65

1 members and 64 guests
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Age
    41
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default A little video of my Eastern Indigo

    The colubrid forum seems to be pretty dead. But, I see there's at least one other drymarchon fan here, so I thought I'd post this for fun. Just goofying around with video tonight.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Broussard, LA with my wife Kayla and our "zoo". LOL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,224
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Very cool video! Very nimble serpent!
    Can't wait to show this to my daughters in the morning. They like the snakes!

  3. Thanks eminart thanked for this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Va.
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They love to eat don't they!And love to poop!LOL..What all have you feed yours?Mine eats a lot of different things,i tryed boars head low sodium turkey,but he wouldn't eat it.LOL..Still has salt in it thou,maybe that's why he didn't take it.One guy on a forum sayed he feeds his hot dogs.Im getting a feeder lizard order and freezing them when mine gets a little bigger.Lizards and snakes are there food of choice,and mine has problems digesting mice hair.American rodent has hairless mice if you need any?Mine pound those with out a regurged hair ball.But colubrids mine anyway bounces right back after a regurg unlike a suriname.Tough animals they are,love cool temps.

  5. Thanks eminart thanked for this post
    Likes reptileman2929 liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Age
    41
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gottabsleeved View Post
    They love to eat don't they!And love to poop!LOL..What all have you feed yours?Mine eats a lot of different things,i tryed boars head low sodium turkey,but he wouldn't eat it.LOL..Still has salt in it thou,maybe that's why he didn't take it.One guy on a forum sayed he feeds his hot dogs.Im getting a feeder lizard order and freezing them when mine gets a little bigger.Lizards and snakes are there food of choice,and mine has problems digesting mice hair.American rodent has hairless mice if you need any?Mine pound those with out a regurged hair ball.But colubrids mine anyway bounces right back after a regurg unlike a suriname.Tough animals they are,love cool temps.
    Yes, they are eating machines. Garbage disposals. And garbage expellers. Haha. He came to me a little on the small side for his age, so I've been feeding him constantly trying to get some size on him. He'll eat every 2-3 days, depending on the size of the meal. He's really started to take off lately.

    I've been trying to find a local source of feeder snakes or lizards, but I haven't had much luck yet. I never order online because I just have a small collection, and I have a great local supply of rodents. I may have to break down and put together an order soon though. My little guy hasn't had any issues with regurg though. The only thing I've given him other than rodents has been some strips of chicken once. I know Michael from Black Pearl Reptiles collects road killed snakes and freezes them to kill parasites, then feeds those to his drymarchon.

    Anyway, they're awesome snakes. Very different from pythons, boas, and even most colubrids.

  7. Likes Gio, gottabsleeved liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Va.
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Id mix up the diet a little more,i think they need more then rodents unlike boas.And theres a lot of choices besides lizards and snakes as food.One is fish,any fish even skinless -boneless like we eat if fine as long as near 90% fish feed are thiaminase free, then your good. .....I also go to my Asian market and get chicken necks and frog legs for mine and freeze them.Last time there I bought a whole rainbow trout and chopped it up and single frooze the meals in ziplocks,I like the skin on it.Another thing I notice they love are quail and chicks,if you need frozen baby quail or chicks PM me.They have day old, 2week and up.I notice that my eastern does best on 2 smaller items at every meal instead of one large one like boas.Hes always hunting for more after the first!LOL...Get you some chicken and fish....They love it!http://www.gartersnake.info/articles...thiaminase.php.............................Im getting 40 of these this fall after he grows for the summer, and I don't want to ship live in the summer heat so ill wait till fall.http://www.lllreptile.com/catalog/11...rds........Ill make 40 last for over a year by mixing up the diet.Cause they aren't cheap.LOL
    Last edited by gottabsleeved; 04-14-2015 at 10:54 AM.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Age
    41
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gottabsleeved View Post
    Id mix up the diet a little more,i think they need more then rodents unlike boas.And theres a lot of choices besides lizards and snakes as food.One is fish,any fish even skinless -boneless like we eat if fine as long as near 90% fish feed are thiaminase free, then your good. .....I also go to my Asian market and get chicken necks and frog legs for mine and freeze them.Last time there I bought a whole rainbow trout and chopped it up and single frooze the meals in ziplocks,I like the skin on it.Another thing I notice they love are quail and chicks,if you need frozen baby quail or chicks PM me.They have day old, 2week and up.I notice that my eastern does best on 2 smaller items at every meal instead of one large one like boas.Hes always hunting for more after the first!LOL...Get you some chicken and fish....They love it!http://www.gartersnake.info/articles...thiaminase.php.............................Im getting 40 of these this fall after he grows for the summer, and I don't want to ship live in the summer heat so ill wait till fall.http://www.lllreptile.com/catalog/11...rds........Ill make 40 last for over a year by mixing up the diet.Cause they aren't cheap.LOL
    I definitely agree with varying his diet. That's been my plan, I've just been a little slow coming up with a better variety. The thiaminase in fish had me avoiding that (THANKS for the link!). Feeder snake and lizards are a bit hard to come by and expensive. Quail is a good idea. But, you're right, it's definitely time. I've just been a little lax. I've only had him for a few months.

    I wonder how big those feeder lizards from LLL are?

  10. Likes gottabsleeved liked this post
  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Va.
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eminart View Post
    I definitely agree with varying his diet. That's been my plan, I've just been a little slow coming up with a better variety. The thiaminase in fish had me avoiding that (THANKS for the link!). Feeder snake and lizards are a bit hard to come by and expensive. Quail is a good idea. But, you're right, it's definitely time. I've just been a little lax. I've only had him for a few months.

    I wonder how big those feeder lizards from LLL are?
    I did a google search awhile back and came up with LLL the feeder lizard size being to big for my 2013 eastern.What year and where did you get your eastern?But mine has grown a lot since then and will be ready for a adult house gecko size feeder by fall.Next time you have fish for dinner just check the list for being free of thiaminase,run some warm water over it just enough to get the cold out and feed.I myself only buy fish that's labeled as wild caught !Chicken necks and frog legs are very cheap to.I think a pack of each with tax is just over $5.And last for months!Feeder quail is the best I think,being there full whole prey with bones,organs, beaks and feathers.Id be getting a quail order soon if I where you,chics are big,more for near adult size colubrids.With the warmer temps here, im feeding mine more so I think he will be a small adult by winter.I been easy on him for the winter being hes in a lower cage and never will go over to the 85hot spot.His cool end got down to 60s this winter,he was cold to the touch but would stay on the cool end.I was kinda in fear of RI but no he never had a problem with the cold cage.I think the cold is why he regurged mice hair.Reason hes down there is it gets to cold for a boa in winter in that lower cage,but also cool enough down there for the eastern in summer as my boa room gets in the middle 80s in day.

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Age
    41
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gottabsleeved View Post
    I did a google search awhile back and came up with LLL the feeder lizard size being to big for my 2013 eastern.What year and where did you get your eastern?But mine has grown a lot since then and will be ready for a adult house gecko size feeder by fall.Next time you have fish for dinner just check the list for being free of thiaminase,run some warm water over it just enough to get the cold out and feed.I myself only buy fish that's labeled as wild caught !Chicken necks and frog legs are very cheap to.I think a pack of each with tax is just over $5.And last for months!Feeder quail is the best I think,being there full whole prey with bones,organs, beaks and feathers.Id be getting a quail order soon if I where you,chics are big,more for near adult size colubrids.With the warmer temps here, im feeding mine more so I think he will be a small adult by winter.I been easy on him for the winter being hes in a lower cage and never will go over to the 85hot spot.His cool end got down to 60s this winter,he was cold to the touch but would stay on the cool end.I was kinda in fear of RI but no he never had a problem with the cold cage.I think the cold is why he regurged mice hair.Reason hes down there is it gets to cold for a boa in winter in that lower cage,but also cool enough down there for the eastern in summer as my boa room gets in the middle 80s in day.

    My indigo is a 2013 model from Robert Bruce. I now know Robert is a bit controversial, but my snake looks great with no imperfections. I got him last July 30. He was only about 23" and 62g then. Three weeks ago he was about 46" and 634g. So, he grew about 23" in 8 months.

    I may give him some fish. I have some in the freezer that are on the no thiamanase list. You've given me some good ideas and reminded me to do a better job of offering him a variety. We have some asian markets here in town. There are several quail breeders on craigslist in my area.

    I've been keeping mine in my computer/reptile/everything room, which is just a spare bedroom. I have an egyptian tortoise in there with a basking lamp that keeps that room a little warmer than the rest of the house. It's actually a bit warmer than I'd like in the summer for an indigo, so I'm working on plans to build his adult sized enclosure and move him into the cooler living room. PLUS, he'll be right there where I can see him all the time. Win Win.

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Va.
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A perfect eastern from bruce isn't cheap!If cage is kept clean,LOL,,then yea a nice cage in the living room would be awesome being they are a creature that moves a lot.So whats your plans as 70f room temps is ok for cool end but what you doing for a warm end?Heat mat?I don't think a full out display cage would be practical for a adult eastern,as cleaning is needed so much.But I do think a taller cage with a shelf is very good for them.I could see a adult male using every bit of a 6x30x20 cage or even a 8ft if you had the space.Go 30" deep as it gives them some room to eat with out being in your face before you get the cage open.Ha ha.I also like sliding doors for them.A animal plastics cage may be the best bang for the buck for a 6x30x18 cage with a shelf.

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Age
    41
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What I really WANT to do is a full bioactive enclosure. I've done them with smaller, less messy snakes, and really like them. I've been debating for months if it would work with a big, poopy indigo. But, it turns out, one of the guys on an indigo facebook group has put a couple of his in bioactive cages this year and he says it's working well and he likes it. So, I'm going to continue letting him be the guinea pig before I decide for sure.

    I plan to build my own cage with sliding doors. I'll do at least 6'x2'. I'd like to do bigger, but, so far, my wife is reluctant to part with a piece of furniture that is in my way. As far as heat, if I do go bioactive, I'll use a lamp or a ceramic bulb with LED lighting. If I don't do bioactive, I don't know. I might use a UTH in that case.

    I don't have a huge collection. My daughter has a couple of corn snakes, but technically, I just have the indigo and my new boa. I also have a tortoise, and some tarantula spiderlings. So, I don't have an overwhelming amount of stuff to clean and feed. Making naturalistic habitats has always been one of my favorite parts of keeping herps. So, I'd love to do a nice display for my indigo. Hopefully, the guy that's trying it will continue to report good things.
    Last edited by eminart; 04-14-2015 at 04:37 PM.

  15. Likes Bayou Exotics liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Sponsors









» ads by google

» Random Albums Photo

269 My suriname
Bccboas
My suriname