Facebook

» Online Users: 52

0 members and 52 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

With water under, what would a average humidity level run in a bio setup?A eastern seems fine in the boa humidity levels 45-65%........I guess you could add vents or drill big holes in the top till you get it dialed in to run under 70%.I just don't like the sounds of damp conditions for things to grow and live with my snake.LOL...I look forward to seeing it,when you doing it this summer?I got a big project going now myself.Just spent 1300 on a vinyl fence for a snake playground,LOL....6ft tall 12X16,the eastern is so fast he would go in the road in no time in my little yard so now he cant.Rain and nature will clean it and all my boas can use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Great stuff in this thread. I wish I had the $$ for one of these. They hit the mark as far as activity and food response.

I like the size, and think they are probably an apex predator in the reptile world at least in the Americas.

I've seen some other videos of these guys, and they are very fast and keyed in on their prey.
    There pretty crazy,reminds me off feeding a puppy when I go in and feed him people food.He chases his food and don't squeeze .I could feed him on a plate,i tried hand feeding and he got my finger and wouldn't let go.LOL..

3. Likes Gio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gottabsleeved View Post
    With water under, what would a average humidity level run in a bio setup?A eastern seems fine in the boa humidity levels 45-65%........I guess you could add vents or drill big holes in the top till you get it dialed in to run under 70%.I just don't like the sounds of damp conditions for things to grow and live with my snake.LOL...I look forward to seeing it,when you doing it this summer?I got a big project going now myself.Just spent 1300 on a vinyl fence for a snake playground,LOL....6ft tall 12X16,the eastern is so fast he would go in the road in no time in my little yard so now he cant.Rain and nature will clean it and all my boas can use it.

I really don't know what the average humidity would be. It just depends on how wet you want it, and how much ventilation you have. Just for an example, my daughter's corn snake is kept this way with a full screen top on the cage. There are live plants (pothos) growing like crazy in there, and my daughter usually does a good job of keeping the substrate watered correctly (I keep an eye on it to make sure). But, she let it dry out enough on top recently that her snake got a stuck shed, which is pretty difficult to do with a corn snake in alabama. Granted, it was the end of the winter, and the heat probably had the air dried out more than usual. But, the plants in the tank still looked great. So, you don't have to wet it nearly as much as you're thinking.

Yeah, I'm hoping to build it this summer. We'll see how long it takes before I can talk my wife into letting me spend the money.

Your fence sounds cool. Post some pics when you get a chance.

5. Thanks gottabsleeved thanked for this post
    Likes gottabsleeved liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glade you joined RI,your a interesting dude!Yes ill post Pictures of my snake playground,GIO knows I been tossing around a little outdoor snake building thing for near 2years,i think the fence is best,that way I don't have to clean up or whip stuff down,mother nature will do it,well I might have to shovel out a few poops when I do the yard for the dogs.Im doing some kinda hide and 3" PVC monkey bar perch thing in the middle.Hadnt got that all figured out yet as it has to be in the middle so they cant crawl over fence,has to be in a way it wont flip,but yet easy to remove so I can get in there to mow the grass.LOL...Im doing bed edging around bottom that sinks in the ground.Im excited to have a place for them to get sun and fresh air and exercise.And the neighbors cant ride by and see them,plus I can be in and out house doing other things but still keeping a eye on them.They should get out a lot more now.Time its all done ill probably have $1400 in it.LOL...Anybody else want to do it,heres what I used,a 8x8 would work to...Wonder if a 8ft snake could use the corner to get over this?Theres a chance I guess,first few times ill be watching them.http://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-W...3298/203079474
    Last edited by gottabsleeved; 04-15-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds really cool. And useful too. I've been thinking I'd take my indigo out some soon. Last summer when I got him, he was so small that he'd get down under the grass and it was difficult to get him out. He'd pretty much disappear. That always scared me so I stopped that. He's big enough now that it won't be a problem. But it would be pretty sweet to have a fence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eminart View Post
    That sounds really cool. And useful too. I've been thinking I'd take my indigo out some soon. Last summer when I got him, he was so small that he'd get down under the grass and it was difficult to get him out. He'd pretty much disappear. That always scared me so I stopped that. He's big enough now that it won't be a problem. But it would be pretty sweet to have a fence.
    Ha ha same here with the grass,but last summer mine was bigger and I had him out,hes much faster and active then my boas,he would be across my little yard and going for the road in no time.And hed get like scared when id try and get him,and think if he really wanted he could out run me.LOL..You cant take your eyes off of them for a second out there!One guy on another indigo forum sayed his adult eastern was in the grass,he just walked in the house to get something came right back out and his eastern was gone.He took the snakes hide out side and put fish in it,but no luck, he never saw the indigo again.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool video and great information in this thread. Have you guys tried catching some small sunfish, freeze and cut the dorsal spines if necessary. Both of you should have ample populations of wild anoles and Eminart, there should be lots of geckos in your neck of the woods as well.
    What about 5 line skinks, I know they are slightly poisonous (not to be confused with venomous) to mammals...would they be harmful to indigos? Think about all the still born and deformed baby boas that are produced just from people,on this forum, might be a way to get people to ship you frozen deceased baby boas (trust would be a concern)
    The bio active habitat sounds cool but I know for me it would be more work and time because I would be checking on all the critters and sampling the bacteria population and then trying to figure out how much I would need to support the bio load and then calculating anticipated need as the animal grows lol... Sounds fun and time is my biggest enemy.
    Cool snakes guys...definitely my favorite North American serpent.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Thomas View Post
    Cool video and great information in this thread. Have you guys tried catching some small sunfish, freeze and cut the dorsal spines if necessary. Both of you should have ample populations of wild anoles and Eminart, there should be lots of geckos in your neck of the woods as well.
    What about 5 line skinks, I know they are slightly poisonous (not to be confused with venomous) to mammals...would they be harmful to indigos? Think about all the still born and deformed baby boas that are produced just from people,on this forum, might be a way to get people to ship you frozen deceased baby boas (trust would be a concern)
    The bio active habitat sounds cool but I know for me it would be more work and time because I would be checking on all the critters and sampling the bacteria population and then trying to figure out how much I would need to support the bio load and then calculating anticipated need as the animal grows lol... Sounds fun and time is my biggest enemy.
    Cool snakes guys...definitely my favorite North American serpent.
    I was actually just thinking about the sunfish yesterday. That's a good possibility. My daughter and I do fish quite a bit. Turkey season ends in a couple of weeks. I might try to stock up on some fish after that. "Let's see who can catch the smallest!"

We do have lots of anoles. I'm just reluctant to take a lot of them out of the wild. I guess it's really no different than hunting, which I do all the time. It's not like we have a shortage of them. We do have a lot of skinks too. We don't have geckos here though. I'm in the northern part of the state. I know I've seen house geckos in northern florida, so I assume they're probably also along coastal AL, but I don't know how far north they've made it.

Stillborns would be a great option. I'm just not sure how to go about it. They'd have to be frozen if they were shipped. That's expensive, so I think there would probably need a fair quantity of them to make it worth it. I suppose if I could find some semi-local breeders this might work.

I do have an acquaintance who is an avid field herper. She's agreed to collect any fresh dead on road snakes she finds and toss them in her freezer. She has one waiting for me now. I'm planning to do more herping this year too, so I'll collect fresh roadkill too.

Yeah, bioactive definitely isn't for everyone. But, I enjoy that kind of stuff, and like I said, I don't have a huge collection to take care of.

Post Thanks / Like

I am searching for morels now and usually don't hunt turkey until mid season because I really enjoy out foxing the older birds....give me long Spurs over beard length or weight of the bird.

Sounds like you have some really lucky animals under your care, glad you found this forum....I think you are a great fit here too.
    Have fun and hunt safe.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking.

Joel Thomas

12. Thanks eminart thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of you wanted to see his enclosure when I finished, so here you go.

I'm not satisfied with the waterdish liner I came up with, but otherwise, I think it's done.

I'm trying to wait a while to put him in it, in hopes that the plants will take root and be more difficult for him to destroy. I know some will probably die. The plants will be a work in progress.

And, this is the tub where his burrow leads.

14. Likes gottabsleeved liked this post

Thread Information