Facebook

» Online Users: 87

0 members and 87 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Thread: Sulcata Rescue

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sulcata Rescue

I rescued a Sulcata that escaped from his/her home and could not be relocated. I've decided to keep it unless the original owner can be found, but unfortunately I'm not too familiar with Sulcata care. Anyone here have any experience? I currently have it penned up in my yard to protect it against my dogs (2 GSDs), but I let it run around the yard when the dogs are locked up. My yard is mostly grass on soil/dirt that can hold moisture pretty well (1-2 days in AZ sun, longer if it's cold), but I read somewhere online that soil that is too moist can lead to shell rot. Is this true? What would be a better alternative? I'm thinking of building it a proper outdoor enclosure, but I want to get all my points covered before I start on something expensive/time consuming. I'm also currently working building it a larger hide box until his permanent enclosure is ready. I have attached some pictures of the sulcata and the enclosure (with the soil) below.

Any advice on how to setup the outdoor enclosure will be much appreciated!

- Ali

2. Likes Gio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting back into reptiles. I'm not to sure about the husbandry needs. Maybe CE will chime in, think he has one. Write your address on his belly incase he gets out.
    Brad Travers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surfinball View Post
    Getting back into reptiles. I'm not to sure about the husbandry needs. Maybe CE will chime in, think he has one. Write your address on his belly incase he gets out.
    Yeah, man. It's a lot easier resisting when I see pictures online, but once I saw this guy in person, I couldn't resist. He's a ton of fun.

I will get back into boas when you start producing that litter!

- Ali

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like hes got it made!That looks fresh enough for me to eat.LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I have one , one thing I would recommend when building the enclosure is to go deep. Build the walls at-least a foot underground cause they will pick a spot and try to dig out. Best case scenario to make it escape proof is to dig a large hole and line the entire thing with concrete that way it will be escape proof.

You're in Arizona ? I wouldn't worry about the soil , should be more than arid enough there. They are cool little critters and grow faster than you would think ... and be prepared , they can freekin eat , and eat, and eat !
    [I]Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.[/I]

[B]Ralph Waldo Emerson[/B]

7. Thanks Ali thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boas4Life View Post
    I have one , one thing I would recommend when building the enclosure is to go deep. Build the walls at-least a foot underground cause they will pick a spot and try to dig out. Best case scenario to make it escape proof is to dig a large hole and line the entire thing with concrete that way it will be escape proof.

You're in Arizona ? I wouldn't worry about the soil , should be more than arid enough there. They are cool little critters and grow faster than you would think ... and be prepared , they can freekin eat , and eat, and eat !
    Due to the fact that I have two larger dogs, the tortoise will not be able to run free everywhere in the yard. I want to create a large enough enclosure that he will still do well even with not being able to roam free all the time (I will still try to let him out daily). What size enclosure would be good for this?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the area you have in your photo is plenty of space for now , I would just make sure he can't dig under the fence.
    [I]Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.[/I]

10. Thanks Ali thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dang Charles has had everything!Hes the man!Glade hes on my side of this we call life!........hea hee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gottabsleeved View Post
    Dang Charles has had everything!Hes the man!Glade hes on my side of this we call life!........hea hee
    The sulcata belongs to wifey, she manages a vet clinic so she likes animals too .. but she aint messing with the big snakes. It takes all my energy to keep her from getting more animals .. now she wants a parot , I said Hellllll nooooooo...

Thread Information