Facebook

» Online Users: 130

3 members and 127 guests
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 03:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tinkering and adjusting to get the right temps.

I thought this was worth posting since it can be difficult to find information on some of what we have to go through to get things just right.

So the 2 4' Animal Plastics are sitting on a wooden shelf/cart that I built for them. Both are heated with 4' of 12" heat tape from ReptileBasics. With the bottom enclosure sitting directly on wood I noticed as the room they are in warmed up, it would get much warmer than the enclosure ontop of it. So I decided to cut the shelf out leaving a rim for the enclosure to sit on... Doing this the bottom cage was about 6-8 degrees cooler than the top enclosure... So I tried attaching reflectix insulation underneath just over the heat tape. This of course raised the temp back to the point it was getting with the wood. So I took down the reflectix and cut louvres into it and bent them open, allowing for air exchange. I also attached the reflectix to the wood shelf rim (leaving a 3/4" gap now between the heat tape and the insulation)... I finished that yesterday evening. Since going this route the temps for both enclosures remain within a degree of one another.
    Randall L Turner Jr.
    RMTWGR

2. Likes kid007inplay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear you got it adjusted to your liking.
    Everyone's set up and environment is different. You just need to find what works best for you.
    I always leave 1/4" gap between cages for air ventilation and avoid overheating. It's not need on constrictors NW cages since it already has a gap.
    Most of my cages gets it's dedicated probe, but don't run no more than 2 cages to 1 probe.

4. Likes Randysherps liked this post

Thread Information