Facebook

» Online Users: 121

2 members and 119 guests
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 03:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roswell Breeding Success

It has been a long time since we have posted here as life just always seems too busy, but we thought that this excellent result was sufficiently newsworthy to share with all of you. This male double-het Sunglow Roswell boa that we produced in our 2014 Sunglow Roswell litter (the only male Roswell from that litter) is now a Daddy!

As far as we are aware, this is the first time that a Roswell boa has been bred successfully in the U.S., and only the second time overall (a Roswell boa was bred successfully by a Canadian breeder a year or two ago). We are very excited to have this experience and firsthand proof that Roswell boas are viable co-dominant Supers – they are fertile and can reproduce!

We bred him to a proven female Roswell Laddertail (RLT) het-Albino that we produced in 2012. In 2016 she provided us with her first litter of 18 live, 5 DOAs, and 2 slugs on July 7th at POS+102. This year, she delivered 17 live, 3 DOAs, and 9 slugs on July 11th at POS+106. She is clearly on a schedule! At just 10.1 lbs post-birth weight, she is not a very big girl, but she has done some excellent work for us the last two years, and we plan to reward her by giving her this next season off.

Here are a couple of breeding pics…

And finally, some pics of the litter!

6 Hypo RLTs and 5 RLTs, all 66% het-Albino

2 Sunglow RLTs and 1 Albino RLT

1 Hypo RLT and 2 RLTs, all 66% het-Albino

The DOAs were 1 Hypo Roswell, 1 Roswell, and 1 RLT. We obviously did not hit the odds very well on Sunglows/Albinos or Roswells, but every baby is either Roswell or RLT as expected from a Roswell x RLT breeding. Quite honestly, we don’t care at all about the unlucky odds. We are too excited that our DH-Sunglow Roswell is now a proven breeder!

Steve Reiners

www.BoaMorph.com

2. Likes Bayou Exotics liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is awesome to see the success from the super. Congrats on the pretty litter. The odds may have been less than stellar but the offspring all look good.
    Randall L Turner Jr.
    RMTWGR

Post Thanks / Like

That's fantastic, congrats Steve and thank you for posting!

Post Thanks / Like

Huge congrats Steve!!!! This is great news!!! Thank you for sharing. You've got some of the best RLT stuff around IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Congrats.......................very nice litter!
    http//www.redhot-reptiles.com

Post Thanks / Like

Stunning animals. Why are we not seeing more of the homozygous form? There should certainly be enough mature heterozygous females around.
    Warren
    Dr Warren Booth/USARK director

8. Likes Bayou Exotics liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Steve! Great to see you around RI. Please keep the cool stuff comin!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Warren_Booth View Post
    Stunning animals. Why are we not seeing more of the homozygous form? There should certainly be enough mature heterozygous females around.
    Warren
    Hi Warren - It seems that most breeders (wisely, I think) have chosen to outcross their RLT stock rather than going for Roswells right off the bat - that has certainly been the focus here. When I acquired Heather Martin's collection in late 2009, all of those boas were related to each other and to much of my stock. She had her 1.2 RLT trio from Todd Smith's original 2003 litter. Heather's 2007 litter and both 2008 litters were a result of breeding those siblings to each other. Her two 2009 litters were a product breeding her two female RLTs to the same male het-albino that she got from me and which was related to the majority of my stock at that time. As such, it was a large but relatively incestuous group of boas that I started with, and it is a long road when you're starting with mostly RLT 66% possible het-albinos. I began to outcross my RLT stock, and later started acquiring outcrossed RLTs from others who had obtained RLTs from Phil Pruden's litter (Todd Smith litter RLT x Ghost het-albino) or that Rich Ihle produced (both Phil and Rich had at least one RLT from Todd Smith's '03 litter). I didn't produce my first Roswells until 2014, gave most of my RLT stock the 2015 season off, and produced only very limited numbers of them in 2016, again because I chose to do very few RLT x RLT pairings. I have one or two more females that could produce additional Roswells in the next couple of months, but most of my pairings this season were again focused on taking RLTs in new directions - hoping to have some exciting news in August about that. Meanwhile, I know multiple breeders who have produced Roswells in the last couple of years - not in big numbers, but it is starting to happen, and I think we will see more and more of them as the number of breeders working with Roswells/RLTs and the availability of quality outcrossed stock continue to grow. Cheers,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I Think that was a very wise decision Steve. Our genomic analysis of a variety of boas (mainly the result of parthenogenesis), have shown the their sexually produced mothers, and the males with which they were paired, are often very highly inbred. Levels of heterozygosity are incredibly low. I know that most people want to start produce visuals asap, and therefore buy pairs of siblings, but I think outcrossing is an essential component of any breeding program. Our data supports that outcrossed offspring from inbreed parents exceed their parental levels of heterozygosity.
    Nice work Steve and good luck with this project and the rest of your season.

Warren
    Dr Warren Booth/USARK director

Thread Information