Facebook

» Online Users: 78

1 members and 77 guests
LarM,
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pure Colombian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gottabsleeved View Post
    Sniper did?Get you a foam insulation board like what rats get shipped in.I got a few firm blue pieces i use to break feeding responce,cover head,etc before my hand goes in.
    It was actually during a handling session. he got behind my back and i reached back to get him. Probably because I grabbed his head he got a little pissy. He bit my little finger. Nothing too bad he was cool right after.

2. Thanks gottabsleeved thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh this is a facebook post all day...............Why all of a sudden did my tame snake bite when i reach in?After all there gentle puppys right.LOL

4. Likes Gio, Randysherps liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great looking Colombians, guys! Good to see Sniper, too!

I've never shared this before, but one of the reasons I got out of the hobby (it was way down the list) was the community itself. Seeing SOOOO many people exposing their young children to "tame" animals really bothered me. The simple fact is, these animals are FAR closer to wild than they are to domesticated (and even domesticated animals hurt/injure countless people each year) and many people seem to forget that. Hell, in the news the other day was a guy, in Britain - I think, whose python "accidentally" strangled him to death. Oddly, the article I skimmed said the coroner said something like "it was from affection". What an f'ing moron. Anyway... Speaking of news - but unrelated, an albino retic was found in the water (Siesta Key) not far from my house (maybe 10 miles away) and made national news the other day.

Anyway, I never thought much of children with snakes until I became a parent and I realized once my daughter was old enough to walk, I suddenly became HYPER-paranoid about her being around my animals. I wouldn't let her even near the cages without me hovering over her like a textbook helicopter parent. Letting her hold one of my boas was out of the question. I'd let her touch them as long as I was controlling the upper half of the animal, but that was it. Even now that she's 5.5, I wouldn't let her hold one independently. Admittedly, I'm sometimes overprotective.

Meanwhile, on forums and FB, I'd see people with their children SITTING ON TOP OF FULL GROWN BURMS!!!! ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME!?!?!?

So anyway, this kind of stuff contributed to my loss of passion.

I feel no sympathy towards the guy I mentioned above whose python killed him. Adults can make their own decisions and mistakes. But having these animals around children... especially small children. IMO, it's only okay in VERY restricted circumstances. And contrary to what may come across above, I feel like those restricted circumstances SHOULD be broadcast across social media. I feel like it's important for children to have an appreciation for these animals and for people to see what SAFE looks like.

Love you guys, and miss you guys!
    jb

6. Likes Gio, gottabsleeved liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get bite every few years i guess.Mostly babys but a few from larger surinames ,my most tame ones that i raised and trust the most is the ones i been bite by.LOL...Cause i trusted them a little to much.There still my ones i look at as my most layed back pets ! My mistakes.There brain is the size of a pea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
    Great looking Colombians, guys! Good to see Sniper, too!

I've never shared this before, but one of the reasons I got out of the hobby (it was way down the list) was the community itself. Seeing SOOOO many people exposing their young children to "tame" animals really bothered me. The simple fact is, these animals are FAR closer to wild than they are to domesticated (and even domesticated animals hurt/injure countless people each year) and many people seem to forget that. Hell, in the news the other day was a guy, in Britain - I think, whose python "accidentally" strangled him to death. Oddly, the article I skimmed said the coroner said something like "it was from affection". What an f'ing moron. Anyway... Speaking of news - but unrelated, an albino retic was found in the water (Siesta Key) not far from my house (maybe 10 miles away) and made national news the other day.

Anyway, I never thought much of children with snakes until I became a parent and I realized once my daughter was old enough to walk, I suddenly became HYPER-paranoid about her being around my animals. I wouldn't let her even near the cages without me hovering over her like a textbook helicopter parent. Letting her hold one of my boas was out of the question. I'd let her touch them as long as I was controlling the upper half of the animal, but that was it. Even now that she's 5.5, I wouldn't let her hold one independently. Admittedly, I'm sometimes overprotective.

Meanwhile, on forums and FB, I'd see people with their children SITTING ON TOP OF FULL GROWN BURMS!!!! ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME!?!?!?

So anyway, this kind of stuff contributed to my loss of passion.

I feel no sympathy towards the guy I mentioned above whose python killed him. Adults can make their own decisions and mistakes. But having these animals around children... especially small children. IMO, it's only okay in VERY restricted circumstances. And contrary to what may come across above, I feel like those restricted circumstances SHOULD be broadcast across social media. I feel like it's important for children to have an appreciation for these animals and for people to see what SAFE looks like.

Love you guys, and miss you guys!
    jb
    The BCC guys miss you in the hobby....There are ways to be safe,my girl has grand kids,so i took the snake room door off,tacked a wood trip to bottom of door and rehung it,so nothing but a baby maybe could get out that room.And bought a key lock knob.When they come over room gets locked,key goes in my pocket!And yes they dont play with them.LOL

9. Likes LarM, Gio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey JB,

I kind of figured you'd pop out of the hobby with kids. My wife and I used to be very active in dog sports. Personal protection trials, French Ring, Mondio Ring, and then we had one kid and then another. The time for that hobby went away. We still have a Presa and a Pit rescue but our "trail" days are over.
    The snake hobby keeps me home, and the kids enjoy them, but they are not overly interested. I think because they are growing up with them the fascination isn't as great.

You may or may not get back into it (1 or 2 pets) when the kids get older. They are easy and don't require much effort.

We don't have anything here that is 8 feet long, and Sniper is still the heaviest snake in the mix.

Great to see you post now and then.

Skip, update those pictures!

Post Thanks / Like

We have a family dog, Maya - our Siberian Husky, who just turned 9 a month ago and otherwise all of our time is devoted to our family and an endless cycle of birthday parties! lol

I do think people need some sort of hobby to keep them sane and for me that hobby is photography. I enjoy the "gear" side of things (learning about and trying out cameras/lenses/flashes, etc.) but I actually enjoy taking pictures, processing them, and sharing them too. The greatest part of it for me is capturing memories for the future. But, being a nerd, playing with the tech is pretty awesome, too.

I wish I knew what I know now about photography and gear back when I had boas. My pictures could/would have been much better and more creative. But I definitely remember being INCREDIBLY frustrated with every animal in my care at some point or another because those little ba*****s wouldn't sit still!!!! lol

12. Likes Gio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a family dog, Maya - our Siberian Husky, who just turned 9 a month ago and otherwise all of our time is devoted to our family and an endless cycle of birthday parties! lol

I do think people need some sort of hobby to keep them sane and for me that hobby is photography. I enjoy the "gear" side of things (learning about and trying out cameras/lenses/flashes, etc.) but I actually enjoy taking pictures, processing them, and sharing them too. The greatest part of it for me is capturing memories for the future. But, being a nerd, playing with the tech is pretty awesome, too.

I wish I knew what I know now about photography and gear back when I had boas. My pictures could/would have been much better and more creative. But I definitely remember being INCREDIBLY frustrated with every animal in my care at some point or another because those little ba*****s wouldn't sit still!!!! lol
    MAYA!!

Our pit rescue is Maya. Our presa is coming up on 9 in September.
    Good for you in keeping with the family as it goes by fast.

Once in a while I catch a photo or two of your boas for days gone by on the internet.
    You took pretty sweet pictures back then, I can only imagine what they'd look like now.

14. Likes LarM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, a LOT of my pictures were on photobucket so they're all broken links now. Another large percentage were on my website, which is also a broken link now. So.... not much out there.

I could be a LOT more creative now, as I'm VERY comfortable with off-camera lighting and before, I literally had zero knowledge of it.

16. Likes LarM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, a LOT of my pictures were on photobucket so they're all broken links now. Another large percentage were on my website, which is also a broken link now. So.... not much out there.

I could be a LOT more creative now, as I'm VERY comfortable with off-camera lighting and before, I literally had zero knowledge of it.
    I think Rob T has his miniature line suri grown and breeding mini to mini.............By a baby male for your pictures and to just enjoy raising up,by the time it gets its adult 5ft size your kids will be bigger.

Thread Information