Facebook

» Online Users: 58

0 members and 58 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,700, 09-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pinworms/transporting in cold !

Hello all, there is a lot here as I am trying to be as descriptive as I can. Thank you.

I have a 2 yr ish old Tarahumara Mountain Boa, I recently brought him to a reptile swap as I knew a vet came from about 90 minutes from where I am there every 2 weeks, he had some dry skin on the top of his head that he checked out and gave him a normal checkup, everything was good. We did a fecal sample and he tested positive for pinworms, unfortunately.

He is eating, pooping, etc normally but he seems way overdue for his shed and seems to lose weight more quickly between meals than he used too. In a 4 day span he appeared to go from 772 grams to 583 grams, I was a little alarmed at first but he really didn't look or feel any smaller, wasn't acting any differently. I fed him that same day I weighed him and he ate just fine, let him digest his food for a few days and weighed him 6 days later....sure enough he is at 833 grams......so 772 grams on 12/13, 583 on 12/17, ate a 77 gram rat on 12/17 and on 12/23 he was 833 grams.

He lost a few lbs between 12/23 and when I fed him next on 12/29 where he weighed 825 grams, fed him 79 gram rat, weighed 890 on 1/2. Haven't weighed him yet today but will in a bit here.

He is in an AP T8 with a fairly constant temp of 60-70% throughout the enclosure and temps ranging from 85-90 on the warm side to 74-77 on the cool side from left to right. Aspen wood chip bedding.

I am bringing him back to the vet I saw at the swap a while back who is going to take another look at him and provide me some medication. I live in Chicago where it has been below 0 to 15F for the last 3 weeks and will be about 10F when I bring him tomorrow morning. I need to know how to transport him safely in these very cold temps. 20 minute or so drive, I know to keep car warm but what do you all use to transport your guys/gals in frigid temps?

Any advice on the pinworms would be greatly appreacited. I clean the cage very regularly, every 7-10 days as a full clean and spot clean thoroughly when I see poop/urate/urine. I'd say I'm OCD about it. Few photos of snake, enclosure and a snippet of my schedule of when I feed, how much he weighs, when he sheds, poops, etc.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqOCHQW1MOLxhssxdOHvyd54TyTbwg

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

That sucks on the pinworms. I had a feeder supplier in the mid 90s who had a "great" feeder sale, I picked up a bunch of mice and gerbils from the deal only to find out they were all infected with pinworms and they didn't want to share the information with us, rather just planned to clear out their stock and reup their own supply. I don't remember what I ended up treating with since I've slept since then lol.

Regarding transporting in the cold, I use basic storage bins, I like to put the snakes in small storage bins and then place those into a larger bin that has a couple towels in it to help insulate while going to and from the vehicle. While in the vehicle I use an inverter and an on/off thermostat with a strip of heat tape on each end of the larger tub to help keep them toasty.
    Randall L Turner Jr.
    RMTWGR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randysherps View Post
    That sucks on the pinworms. I had a feeder supplier in the mid 90s who had a "great" feeder sale, I picked up a bunch of mice and gerbils from the deal only to find out they were all infected with pinworms and they didn't want to share the information with us, rather just planned to clear out their stock and reup their own supply. I don't remember what I ended up treating with since I've slept since then lol.

Regarding transporting in the cold, I use basic storage bins, I like to put the snakes in small storage bins and then place those into a larger bin that has a couple towels in it to help insulate while going to and from the vehicle. While in the vehicle I use an inverter and an on/off thermostat with a strip of heat tape on each end of the larger tub to help keep them toasty.
    Transported in two storage bin lined with towels and a hand warmer. He sat on that the whole way there and back haha, about 86 through the towel. Vet gave me fenbendazole and instructed me to give him 3 doses for 3 days in a row at .5 mL, 7 days off, 3 days on, 7 off, 3 on. He provided the first dose, I've done the last two. He kept everything down both times but the second time (his 3rd dose of 9) he was not having it and as soon as he felt some freedom from mine and my roommate's gripped he ripped away from us (likely before swallowing all of the medication) and I saw the smallest amount come out of his nostrils.....I am very scared I caused him some serious harm......I made sure to stay away from his airway when provide the medication but when he ripped away it may have bounced around in his mouth......I hope he will be okay.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd imagine he's fine if he's not shown any adverse reactions or behaviors since that happened. Good luck and hope he's all better soon.
    Randall L Turner Jr.
    RMTWGR

Post Thanks / Like

I know you don’t need this info now as you have already gone to the Vet. But for the future I use a cooler for my snake when I transport them. I put packing paper in the bottom of the cooler and fill a gallon bottle up with hot water and put the snake in the cooler with the hot bottle of water. I do sometimes put a towel in the cooler to help keep the hot water bottle from moving around. If you use a smaller cooler just use one or two drinking bottle for hot water.

I see you live in the Chicago area here is a good Vet in North west Indiana that is about 50 miles from down town Chicago.

Dr. LARRY REED
    WESTCHESTER ANIMAL CLINIC
    55 E.US 20
    PORTER IN.46304
    219-926-1194

Thread Information