Facebook

» Online Users: 109

3 members and 106 guests
Most users ever online was 516, 11-15-2012 at 03:20 PM.

» google ads

» Classifieds - Random Ads

2010 Female Tudehope S...
by Boas4Life

2010 Male Suriname BCC...
by Boas4Life

Striped albino male 3A...
by PanamaRed

48x18 Crevice style ba...
by PanamaRed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about Rat racks....

Ok, I need all the links anyone has for how to build a rat rack...I want to try and come up with the best design possible...so all links will help...

I also want some imput from those who have the racks and also have them on auto waterers....

I am thinking about buying a 15 gallon size barrel for water and wonder if that should be a 55 gallon size instead...I am looking at 5 to 7 day refills...

Thanks for any and all help.

Andy
    [COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="1"][B]The Boa Cave[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[url]www.ajfreptiles.com[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/ajfreptiles[/url]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SandyBrown"]I NEED MORE BOAS !!!!! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Andy, my dad put something together. He built a frame with 2"x4"s and each shelf was made to fit one large concrete mixing tub, the shelves were made from a broken up old desk, but are melamine. Each tub was fitted with a frame made out of 1"x4" and then a 1/2" galvanized steel screen was attached to the top. A hole was cut in the back of the screen and 1/4" screen was used to drop down an inch or so below the top, then a wooden frame was attached right over that to serve as a food hopper.

I haven't seen it since the watering system was done but that was just running the lines down and inserting the nozzles into the tops of the screens.

The sides of the rack were covered with foam insulation board to keep it warm in the winter. The front is removable for summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris....if you ever get pics that would be great! Also, I am planning on running these racks for about 8 months out of the year....and then shut them down for winter...then buying new breeders in spring again.

Andy

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SandyBrown"]I NEED MORE BOAS !!!!! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Getting colonies started is tough. I'd say once you've got them going keep them going. Using the insulated racks and a small heater placed underneath keeps them warm enough to breed all winter. If the temps drop to 50 degrees or so in there they won't breed but they'll live and pick right back up in the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris...

I have bred rats for years...and starting up a colony is pretty quick for me...I have a supplier who can give me pregnant females for $4 each right from the start any time I need them. we each take care of each other in different ways.
    I am just tired of buying rats...and where I am living now it is just impossible to breed as many as I want to without the neibors having something to squawk about...lol...

So I am just going to set up a colony for about 8 months out of the year...which is really their best breeding time anyway...Then I can just load the freezer and open it back up the following spring.

I just want some rack plan ideas...I have a few...but wondered if people here had different ideas for setting up an auto waterer.
    I have always used setups that use a water bottle on top so I have no experience with auto waterers.

thanks Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Rats, what? we don't keep rats. Neighbors don't have to know!

What are all those bags of feed and pine chips for? I don't know.

What are those two big blue things on the side of the garage? What are you talking about.

If I wasn't starting breeding I'd continue to buy rats. I only have 13 boas and on their feeding schedules they are easy to cover. My dad's BPs are the primary disposal of the rat colony.

Post Thanks / Like

Andy...here is my rat rack and watering system. I made mine with a few ideas thrown out here and there but they are fairly simple to make especially since you are pretty handy with making stuff....

Refilling water is probably the worst thing that I had to do next to cleaning the tubs so I installed an automated watering system with all the supplies from agselect.com. I have it hooked up to my cold water tap on a y-split and I haven't had to refill water since!! This is only a 12 tub system and I have been supplying other folks with alot of rats including having PLENTY for myself and our dinner table...

Let me knwo if you have any questions....it is so nice to be able to take fresh rats fed Mazuri rodent chow and know that my snakes are only getting the healthiest rats there are!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Andy,
    Here are the palns http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/rat_rack/ratrack.shtml
    Make sure you measure the tubs first because they change the size and different manufactures make them a little different in size and length so you may have to modify the plans by a inch or so.As far as the watering system go with the automatic watering system.Rich at Reptile Basic has a nice set
    up that works well.I use 2gallons a day for approx 500 rats.I fill a pail every morning and thats it.Save several hours a week over bottles and I have not found a bottle that dosn't eventually leak.
    I am about to put down a whole bunch and keep production light in the summer due to the smell.While the snakes are breeding and off food the rats are going in the freezer.Heres a photo of the set up.
    Just another hint if you do go with this set up.I would go only 5 high 6 is a bit tall and a pain to move the top rats.Leave one tub empty so you can
    transfer rats on cleaning day from one tub to the next.Also I used 1/2 inch wire fence.
    joe
    website HTTP://WWW.JPCBOAS.COM

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys!!!! Those racks look great!

Andy

Post Thanks / Like

I dont mean to steal the thread, but I have a question of my own.
    Is there any safety valves if a water valve gets clogged or stuck open to prevent the flooding of a tub (or the whole room if hooked to a constant water supply)? Any links would be great
    [FONT="Impact"][/FONT]Bryan
    I admit........I DO have a problem!!

Thread Information